Chapter 4: Lucas

In the pinnacle of the Black Tower within the thick walls of an isolated, dark room, Lucas was getting  ready to teleport to Princess Athanasia's debutante ball. He just completed his royal wizard duties at the tower and intended to stop by the princess's debutante party because she kept pestering him to be there when he paid a visit to her bedroom last night.

"Lucas, can you please stop by my debutante party after you get off from work?" Athanasia pleaded.

"No way, princess. I hate parties and crowds, " he replied nonchalantly.

"Awww, pretty please, Lucas? The prettiest, most powerful, most handsome wizard of all in the whole universe?"

She once again pleaded with her puppy-like , sparkling eyes.

".........."

She is such a troublesome princess.

When he stared deeply into those jeweled, cerulean blue eyes, he already knew he had already fallen into her trap. They caught him off guard, and he lost all his willpower to deny her request.

Tsk! That expression she makes is so annoying right now.

"....Fine, I will try my best for your sake, princess. "

"Thank you so much, Lucas. " Athanasia replied joyously.

She smiled and implanted a kiss on the cheek. Lucas felt his cheeks getting a bit hot from where she kissed him, but didn't say anything because he was a bit startled by her attack.

Subconsciously, Lucas's mind drifted back to memories of Athanasia kissing him on the cheek last night. He rubbed the area that she had kissed. Honestly, he had no idea why he was brooding over such impertinent things when he was already running late. Those wizards irked him because they spent almost the whole day bombarding him with questions related to magical research.

I finally made up my mind to go to her party, but it is going to end soon. I am so pissed right now. Wizard lackey #1 and #2 held me off overtime and pestered me to teach them about new magic combative skills and contribute to their stupid magic research. Those old farts! All they can think about is magic and research! They have no life!

He glanced over to the antique grandfather wall clock to find out what time it was.

Only thirty minutes til midnight.

Athanasia's debutante ball was wrapping up soon. There were only thirty minutes left until the debutante ended.

Lucas gritted his teeth and clenched his fists tightly due to sheer annoyance for getting held overtime and almost being not able to make it to the debutante party. He kicked the peg of a table with killing intent.

I should have beaten them up for making me stay overtime. I reprimanded them that I had to attend Princess's party tonight, but they kept rambling on that this is important for the sake of the empire. The empire can go to hell for all I care. I just care about keeping my promise with the princess. I will take my revenge next time. If the debutante party ends before I arrive, I can't guarantee that their bodies will remain intact in my next meeting with them.

The next moment, he used his mana to teleport himself away from the tower.

Poof!

✥✥✥

Poof!

Lucas scanned the ballroom for the princess, since he felt her presence nearby. After all, he did apply tracking magic on Athanasia in case she was in grave danger.  If Athanasia's life was ever endangered, he would be able to summon himself to her side and save her. It worked in the past when Emperor Claude attempted to kill his own daughter, but Lucas incapacitated his mana and knocked him out cold before he got the chance to activate his deadly attack on her. After Lucas's brutal assault, Claude forgot the aftermath of what happened and dropped the notion of killing his daughter, but continued to neglect her for Jennette. Only when Lucas struck Claude with the world tree a year ago, did Claude's attitude shift a hundred-eighty degrees and began treating Athanasia as his own daughter and ignoring Jennette.  Initially, Claude issued an execution order to Jennette and all the members of House Alpheus when he discovered that Roger Alpheus withheld information that Jennette was his older brother's daughter, but Athanasia convinced him to bestow a lighter punishment on them---that is, temporary banishment to a villa.  After their punishment was lifted, Athanasia convinced Claude to treat Jennette nicely--which he did, since it was his biological daughter's request.