8 | parties for heroes

you could say that, after my flying fiasco, i got scolded by happy and iron man. and it was literally iron man, cause tony's off somewhere, like a wedding or something.

happy was the angriest i've ever seen him. "isla, you can't jump out of windows and blast off into space!"

"i couldn't of got to space-"

"you know what i mean!"

tony was frustrated, but he was more impressed of how high i got. i gave him the feedback of the suit being pretty much perfect; the gloves aren't melted or broken from my blasts which was unexpected. i shouldn't of underestimated the genius.

"try stay on the ground" he had said, which made me scrunch up my nose. they both started talking of other related matters, so i zoned out and caught my breath from my little trip.

my chest piece took my attention. the glow had significantly dimmed, showing i'd been quite drained but still had some energy left in me. the star got me thinking about astronomy that cindy goes on about. there's always wild terminology and technical terms in astronomy. and that's when it clicked in my head and fell into place.

"nova."

the iron man helmet and happy's head both snapped round to me in synchronisation. i look up at them, ripping my mask off, a small grin on my face.

"that's my alias. my alter ego, my hero name. nova" i say. happy smiles and nods in approval, whilst the iron suit just hovered in the air until tony spoke.

"yeah, it's pretentious."

i quip my head up at the man-less armour, "so's iron man."

happy holds in a cackle as the metal clangs, lifting tony's suit into a shrug. "alright, kid. you got me."

the talking was wrapped up soon after, tony's suit automatically flying back to the new building upstate as happy waited for me to go back inside.

but, now i'm dressing for liz's party. it's not like i ever want to go to a party, let alone after i fly for the first time today, but it's the joy of doubling as a teenager.

i'm wearing a black corduroy pinafore dress, which i layer up with a white turtleneck and tights. my hair is a bit knotty, so it's pulled into half up half down. i lace up my combat boots before sarcastically saying to happy, "should i wear my suit? yanno, if there's an emergency?"

he scoffs, "isn't that peter's job?"

i over exaggerate an mocking evil laugh before opening the door. "yeah, but spiderman hasn't met nova, yet."

happy drives, and when we arrive in the suburbs, he shouts "be sensible!"

i'm forced to say a quick hello to liz, since she makes a beeline towards me as soon as i step foot in the door. "hey, isla! i'm glad you decided to show up." she takes pride in the fact i'm actually here, like her sickening smile can work wonders and get antisocial people to go to a party.

michelle finds me almost immediately after, in attempt to rescue me. she drags me over to the kitchen, "hey, you good?" i ask. she's wearing something that's classic mj, but before a compliment leaves my lips, she takes a bite of a slice of toast.

"i'm great. just want some toast" she says through bites, handing me a slice. i chuckle before spreading on strawberry jam. what we must look like, sharing a jam pot and scoffing toast. "let's hope liz is alright with us raiding her bread."