Handcuffs

"Hey John B! We gotta go by the docks to pick up, remember?" JJ yelled into the tiny home, or the chateau as they lovingly called it, as he rushed out of the living room and onto the porch with the keys to John B's car shoved into the right pocket of his horrid khakis.

"Yeah, yeah. I'm coming. Why couldn't you have just gone?" John B sighed and stepped into the Twinkie with JJ in the passenger seat. It was just the cusp of summer, and two out of the four friends were headed to the ferry docks for an early morning shipment. JJ had insisted that John B went with him for reasons he didn't explain, instead choosing to crank the worn speakers on the Volkswagen and light up a new joint.

John B parked close to the docks before getting out of the van and walking to where the ferry would be getting off. He was still trying to get JJ to tell him why they were there and what shipment loading zone they were headed to. The first thing they spotted that stopped his pestering was Officer Shoupe waiting by the ferry exit.

"JJ, are you deaf, man? Why aren't you telling me why we're here?" John B looked at JJ, who was staring at the ferry coming in. He started to get a small smile stuck to his lips. "JJ?"

The boy who was looking at the boat, more specifically, at two of the passengers, did not respond.

"There she is." JJ didn't take his eyes off the kook when John B turned to look. Sure enough, Bailee Walker was on the boat in all her disheveled glory.

Bailee Walker was addictive; there was no doubt about that. Like a crackling fire, she sparked with colorful flames too hot to touch - even though many had tried. She felt electric like a new wave of adrenaline passed through each wave of her fingers and slipped beneath her tongue in a searing kiss. No one could deny that they had even the slightest crush on the girl at one point - not even Kiara could say she didn't think the girl was attractive.

She got up once the ferry stopped and cracked her neck, only to be dragged just enough by the cop after obtaining her bag from under the seat that she almost stumbled while walking.

Almost.

"Is she in handcuffs?" John B spotted the tight metal the girl was sporting but was still awaiting a response.

"Can you stop dragging me for one second? I can, in fact, walk, thanks. I'd appreciate your hands off of me. The escort from the police station from here was lovely, truly, but I think I'm gonna take my leave now, darlin'."

Bailee continued her torment against the annoyed cop as JJ laughed softly, waiting until she came closer to holler out. He and Bailee had always gotten along the summers she was here, becoming quick friends one summer night three years ago. It was a quiet friendship, consistent with the slightly longing stares and touches that were a bit too soft to be friendly.

Kie, Pope, and John B knew that JJ gardened and mowed for her aunt's property, but they hadn't heard the whole story. For once in his life, JJ kept something to himself from the pogues.

Bailee was handed off to Shoupe and continued to talk his ear off until he seemingly cooperated with what she was saying, gesturing for her to go while he filled out paperwork and unlocked her handcuffs.

"Glad to see you brought a friend." JJ hollered, taking his hands out of his pockets and opening his arms wide. John B looked between him and Bailee with apparent confusion. JJ had never civilly talked with any kooks to his knowledge. "You know, I think I'm required a kiss because of the 15-minute wait."

"Jay!" Bailee yelled and threw her duffle on the ground, letting its contents and the nerves they held be forgotten momentarily, jogging to where the boys were standing. Her black heels clicked on the wet and rotting wood of the docks, barely missing every hole.