Decision Making Updated

Apparently I updated/revised this short story and completely forgot to upload it so. Yeah. 

They say everyone has three sides to yourself. The first side is the person that people see in public, the side of you that everyone knows and loves. The second side is the person that you are at home, the side that only your close friends or family know. The third and final side is the person that only you know. Usually, this is the side that no one knows about and doesn't come out, but when it does, the results can be devastating. I am a firm believer of this, for I have lived through it.

My routine was consistent, I am a victim of habit. I always start my day off by walking to the little home café run by a quiet red-head. She was kind to me, always having my usual ready by the time I walk in the door. She was short, only standing to my shoulders. I was an average height male and it's always fun to see her tilt her head to look up at me when she spoke. I always tried to strike up a conversation with her, Amy I've learned, but she usually avoided doing more than the basics. We still had a bond though, she was one of the few to treat me like a human. She always greeted me with a warm smile, and it made even my bad days a little better. "Right on time," Amy said softly as I approached the counter. I smiled a little as I took my cup from her.

"Force of habit," I replied before we exchanged our usual nods and I found my favorite spot by the window.

I like this homely café, it was small and roomy. It was like something you'd find in a movie, with the stereotypical brown and white wall colors, the plants hanging low from the ceiling. I sat in my corner, the furthest seat from the door to look out the window. My coffee burned my

tongue as I impatiently sipped at it. Today was already warm and it was early morning. I occasionally would glance at my reflection in the glass to see my bright green hair and my dog tags mirror the sunlight. I didn't dare look at my eyes though, they always were yellow instead of green.

The bell ringing as the door opened snapped me back to reality. I looked up from my cup to see Spencer, the friendly neighbor police officer bounce in right on time. It's funny how the two of us are considered brave souls to put our lives on the line, but I'm the monster and he's the hero. He sat down across from me, coffee in hand and his grin wide. I forced a smile back. Here we go again.

"Good morning, Leo! How are you this fine day?" He spoke with enthusiasm, drawing out the first half of his sentence.

"I'm fine, could be better. I see you're cheery this morning," I replied as I looked back to my half empty cup.

"Absolutely! The sun is out, the snow is finally melted, and you're still here."

That cut like a knife. I looked back up to study his bright blue hair that he kept tamed. His dark blue eyes shone brightly but always hid something darker. I never knew how to respond to such a cruel statement. So, I did what I was trained to do; I smiled and agreed. Spencer's grin dropped and he grew serious. "How are you really today?" he asked as he dropped his voice. "I'm fine, Spencer. I've been taking my meds like I should be, and you have nothing to worry about," I responded, taking another sip of the coffee. By now, it's grown cold.

"I'm trusting you, Leo. This town can't afford another one of your...breakdowns," he said

softly. "I know you are, and I appreciate the gesture, but I'm fine," I replied as I drank the rest of the coffee. I set the cup down, giving him a stern look. "Don't worry about me. I can handle myself. Good luck with work today," I said as I threw my money on the table. I got up and walked out, leaving Spencer to his own thoughts.

I took the long way home. I lived on the outskirts of this tiny urban town and the walk was usually long enough to let me rationalize my thoughts. I rarely left my home outside of my usual routine and today was no exception. My plans included to do some spring cleaning, as I grew depressed during the winter and did not keep up with basic maintenance. My home was small and was meant to house me temporarily until I found a better, more permanent residence.