dieciséis

warning: in this chapter there will be mentions of children dying. if that is something that triggers you it's probably best to pass. please message me if i can help or if you still want to know what happens in this chapter x

The night out Kayleigh and Evie had a month ago really changed Kayleigh's perspective on things and she was starting to be happy again. She knew she wasn't going to move on from Ben in a long time but she kind of accepted that. She was coping well. Her coping didn't mean that every time Ben won a game she didn't want to text him it didn't mean that she hadn't typed up at least one hundred texts she planned to send him and then deleted them. It just meant she was doing okay without him.

Ben was the same. For the first time since kayleigh broke up with him he was feeling good. Everything was going good in his life football,family and friends. He hadn't thought about any girl though,Kayleigh was the one in his head. He was going to end up with her but he didn't know how and he decided that it was fate if they did or didn't end up together.

Kayleigh was currently on the sunday night shift and it was always a quiet one,Sunday nights always was. "Nurses over here please" two paramedics shouted catching Kayleigh's attention. "Car crash with grandad seven years old loosing a lot of blood in and out of conciseness" the paramedic told Kayleigh before turning her attention to the other child who was in a lot better state than the little girl who was currently still conscious. "Hello sweetie I'm Kayleigh what's your name?" She asked trying to find where the blood was coming from. "Serena" the girl winced in pain. "That's a pretty name we're going to make you all better don't worry" Kayleigh said still trying to find where the blood was leaking from.

Kayleigh had found where the blood was coming from. It was a bad internal bleed. "Can I get some assistance" Kayleigh screamed hoping another nurse would come and help which they did. "Internal bleed" Kayleigh spoke quietly in an attempt to not scare the young girl. "Serena we need you to stay awake and talk to me"kayleigh told the young girl. "Am I dying?" The girl asked gasping for a breath her lungs couldn't give her. "No sweetie your going to be fine I promise just don't close your eyes" Kayleigh said as she started to do her best in treating the young girls failing lungs.

"I need to close my eyes" the girl spoke quickly having to do it in one breath. "Try your very best not to" Kayleigh said knowing if the girl did close her eyes it would probably be the last time. "Tell mommy I love her" the girl said before she closed her eyes her pulse stopping and muscles releasing.

Kayleigh felt numb. She always knew in her job she would have to experience this at some point but she never thought the last words a little girl would say to her was 'tell mommy i love her'. Kayleigh saw the mother of the girl pacing up and down the waiting room biting her nails in fear of what might have happened to her two daughters. Kayleigh took a deep breath before composing herself and walking up to the lady whose late daughter was a spitting image off. "Is your daughter Serena Thomas" Kayleigh asked the distressed woman.

"I have an update but you might want to sit down" Kayleigh said sitting on the seat beside the woman. "Serena's lungs had a internal bleed. She took her last breath at 02:46" kayleigh told the woman who broke down into tears immediately. Kayleigh had to gulp back to make sure she didn't do the same. "Her last words was 'tell mommy i love her' Kayleigh told the woman who was sobbing next to her. "Thank you for trying to save her" the lady said before hugging Kayleigh.

Kayleigh walked off and took a deep breath wiping the tears appearing in her eyes. "Kay can I have a word" Mandy called the girl over. "Yeah of course" she said trying not to cry. "You did an amazing job trying to save that girl. Don't blame yourself you always do with the first one" she said pulling kayleigh into a hug.