Flashback

It was a hot summer afternoon, warm breeze around making the surroundings hotter. Air coolers and Air conditioners helping us to beat the heat. I was lying on my bed, facing towards the air cooler and enjoying the afternoon talking to my girlfriend. It's been more than 27 months since we have been into a relationship.

Our story was like a regular love story, we met at our farewell party. That was one of the most memorable day of my life. She was sitting in one corner watching all the performances, while I was watching her, wondering how could I have missed noticing her during the college days. Later, we seniors were asked to take part in the Ramp Walk. We looked at each other for the very first time. The ramp walk took an end, I wasn't excited about results, because I knew, I would lose.

During the lunch, I made a first attempt talking to her, I went to her, and said "Hello" she grinned and greeted me back. I wanted to keep the conversation going so I went ahead and said, "You walked beautifully, we all were discussing about your graceful walk. I wish you win the title of Miss Farewell."

"Thank you, you did well too, I hope you win too," she grinned.

The wait was over, everyone who took part in the Ramp Walk was eagerly waiting for the results. In the beginning I didn't expect much about winning, but after she wished I wanted to win the competition bad, at least hoped to win as a runner-up.

The runner-up names were announced, there was neither of us won. I was a bit disappointed, but was sad for her, as my wishes didn't work for her to win the title. It was the time to announce the names of the winners, the banquet hall was completely silent, and everyone was anxious to know the winner, the scene was like last ball the last run in a cricket match. The anchors said, "The winner is..."

"Can't wait anymore, tell fast," a classmate of mine cried in eagerness.

"And the winner is Diksha and Gaurav" the anchor announced the winners name, and everyone around was cheering for them. It was neither me nor her. Gaurav was my best friend, and Diskha was his girlfriend. I was upset, I looked at her, she was supporting for Diksha, as she was her best friend, and I didn't know that. Along with the Ramp walk, different awards were categorized in the event, for the best entertainer, for best smile, etc.,

The names for other categories were being announced. I wasn't taking much interest, I was waiting for the time, when the DJ starts playing the most happening songs and me and my friends would dance like it was the last day of out lives.

The anchor announced, "So this is the last and the best award for the evening, after that it's the DJ time, so the last award of the evening is for the Best smile at this party, and the winner is.... any guesses?'

'NO!' the audience screamed.

"So, the winner for best smile goes to Sushil Kumar and Sarvani Sharma," the anchor said and all my friends started howling, and it was she who won the title along with me. We stood together holding the titles while the pictures of us were being clicked. Meanwhile the music started to play, everyone around started dancing. I asked Sarvani to join, she refused, because she never liked dancing. She said, she will be sitting in a corner and will watch others dancing. She asked me to give her a company, I went along with her, and we both enjoyed others dancing. From there we started getting closer and dated each other.

It was too early to tell our parents about our relationship, but I never hid anything from my dad. I told him about Sarvani, and he supported our relationship.