Chapter 7

Anne

Shuffling sounds outside the tent and the cold of the morning air seeps into the tent and sinks its vicious claws into my body. Shivering, I go to burrow into Waya when I find his place empty. My eyes flutter open and I rub the dryness from my eyes. Stretching and yawning, I look around the small tent only to find the tent flaps open a bit.

Crawling to the flaps, the breath leaves my body when I find Waya standing before our tent, three men from the sister tribe standing before him. Wohali stands in the middle. I fist the grass in my hand, watching.

"Young Waya, it has been a long time," he starts. "I heard about your brother, a shame. He was a great warrior. The white men did it, yes?"

I stay quiet, as to not alert them that I'm awake. "What do you want?" Waya's voice is colder than I've ever heard it.

Then men beside Whohali snicker. "Then you had to marry the white trash! Pity." he laughs. "You know what we want. Give us the girl." his tone snaps, becoming serious.

When Waya says nothing but pulls out a knife the men try to take him down, with quite a struggle.

Warrior indeed.

He swipes at one man, swinging his fist into the second man's face, blood gushes fro his nose. Waya fights off the men gracefully, more graceful, even, than the ballroom dances in London. Adrenaline spikes through me as he pushes them back, back, back until one catches him off balance and takes his legs out from under him.

I scramble inside the tent and find a knife beneath the furs and grab it, going back to the flaps and wait for Wohali to shift his balance. Shifting on my feet, my heart launches in my throat as they finally start to pin Waya and hold a knife to his neck.

No. No. No.

I charge.

No one saw me coming.

I throw myself onto Wohali. I just need enough time for Waya to shake of Wohali's lackeys. My throat clogs and I swallow hard, gathering my courage.

"Here I am. I'm who you wanted right?" I taunt in their native language.

He raises an eyebrow. "Brave. Stupid girl. Children speak better than you." he spits, baring his teeth, whipping out a knife of his own.

Heat flares up my neck to my cheeks at the insult. "Scared of a girl?" I tip my head to his knife.

Come on, Waya. I can't distract forver.

Wohali scoffs. "A stupid girl is a dangerous girl. You're more of a threat to yourself. Come with us and I'll make your end quick."

I dance from foot to foot nervously. Longer. More time. Hurry up Waya! "We both know it won't be quick," I retort, keeping the tremor from my voice.

Waya takes out his aggressors and starts toward us. Unfortunately Wohali is done entertaining me and decides to take out the threat. He charges at an unarmed Waya and my heart leaps into my throat as I do the only thing I can to save Waya.

I launch myself forward and push the knife into his abdomen with a gasp. His body falls with a thud and I stumble back, chest heaving and look toward Waya.

He rushes towards me, wrapping me in his arms as I stare as the lifeless body of Wohali.

I just killed a man.

He runs a hand over my hair, tucking me to his chest. "It's okay, don't worry, Anne. You did what you had to to protect me." Waya strokes my back as my body collapses against his, feeling hollow.