Chapter 8

Anne

For the first time in weeks, Waya must leave for a hunt. A hunt that could take days...weeks. I pace the space of our wattle, wringing my fingers. He has to come back... but what if the Europeans take him? What if they're trying to avenge what was done to the village? My heart races with anxiety, the beats pounding on my rib cage.

No. No. No!

Anne stop. Waya is a warrior, a trained hunter. He has been taught to do this, he has been doing this for years. He will be fine. He will come back to me.

Balling up my hands into fists, I take a deep breath and leave the wattle. I will not just sit here and do nothing.

-~-

Before I lose my nerve, I knock on the door. There is an important conversation that I need to have especially since I'm going to be staying here. My heart sticks into my throat as the door slowly opens.

Ahyoka peeks her head out from around the door and immediately her expression hardens.

"We need to talk," I say in her native language.

For a moment she doesn't do anything and the moments feel like years, and she finally opens the door. I step in and her home doesn't look much different than what me and Waya live in. My palms sweat as she sits and motions me to do the same.

Sitting in front of her, I take a deep breath and let her gather her thoughts. Finally she gestures for me to speak.

"Ahyoka, I understand Sequoyah was your husband," I say.

She inclines her head. "This is true."

"I am..." tears well in my eyes. "I am so sorry about what happened to your husband. No one deserves to lose their spouse, but I want to say that I didn't do this. It's understandable, I am what you can take out your feelings on." I cry and quickly wipe away the tears.

Ahyoka sighs. "What do you want?"

"I really care about Waya and I have no plans to leave. I just want you to know I'm sorry for what you've gone through."

I stand and as I go to leave, Ahyoka hugs me tightly. "Thank you."

I embrace her back, squeezing her and finally I have an ally in this tribe.

-~-

When Ahyoka isn't yelling at me, she is actually really fun. She teaches me how to weave baskets that we will be using to gather the late blooming corn in two weeks. Ahyoka teases me and pokes fun at my first basket, and we laugh.

"How are you adjusting?" she asks, finishing up a basket as I sew animal skins into a pillow.

I consider her question. "I'm doing well. It's been a little difficult outside of home."

She nods. "I'm sorry that I added to your bad experience."

"It's okay, Waya is a really big help. Sometimes I forget I'm a pariah." a smile tugs at my mouth as I recall our times at the river and our late night talks, the way he always defends me against his community.

"Waya and Sequoyah were so alike yet so different. My husband never took anything serious, and while it drove me mad, it's the quality I miss the most. He used to bring out the fun in Waya," she pauses, setting her finished basket aside. "You bring it out in him too. I can see the light in his eyes when he talks to you, when he looks at you." Ahyoka smiles before starting the last basket.

My chest squeezes and it's almost as if light shines into my heart. We bring out the best in each other. Even under odd circumstances and unconventional beginnings, we both found where we belong.

-~-

As I walk home after eating dinner with Ahyoka and the kids I reminisce on life back in London. When Elizabeth would drag me to the park or surprise visits from Mary. Back when I thought I had everything I needed. Little did I know someone so important to me would be on a whole other continent.

I hear gossip, as I walk through the village, about a new European camp that has settled ten miles away. Worry eats at my stomach so I take a detour to Inola's work tent. She has gathered her things as if she is going home for the night.

"I am sorry, elder Inola, to have interrupted you departure, I just have a question."

Elder Inola smiles knowingly. "You want to know if Englishmen really have settled so close to our village, yes?"

I nod slowly.

She sighs and sits her things down. "I am afraid, my girl, that this is true. Another settlement has developed within ten miles of us."

"Can't we move or ask them to leave? This will end as it did last time," I say.

"I understand your frustration, Anne, but it is not as simple as it seems." she seems exhausted.

But I fight harder.

"Let me talk to them. It will be my first act as the bridge between our people."

Elder Inola takes my hand in hers, her skin rough and strong. "Apologies, Anne, but that will not be happening. Things between us and the Englishmen are volatile, I cannot in good conscience put you or anyone in danger, so please heed my words. Do not go to the Englishmen's village."

She doesn't let go until I agree and the sends me on my way to the empty wattle.