Chapter 4

Waya

Wife?

The elders expect me to marry her? Of all the things they could have asked from me, they make me tie myself to her forever? The small pale skinned girl with sadness in her body and sparks of defiance in her light colored brown eyes. Why me?

My walk through the woods didn't help settle any of my anger at the situation so I make my way through the village, the murmurs of sympathy making my blood boil. When I burst into my wattle, I can hear the girl's heavy breathing immediately.

For long moments I watch her. Her lids fluttering with unseen images, small sounds plaguing her, filling the room. The women of her village fled, so why was she still there? The girl's dark hair falls over her pale skin and her chest heaves in slow sleep filled breaths.

There's no way out of this, once the elders have made up their minds. I'm stuck with this... girl. With resignation I tie my hair up, washing off the woad covering my skin. Leaving the tent I give her a few more moments of rest before I return with food for the both of us.

I hover over her before nudging her shoulder. Her brown eyes snap open and she sits up quickly. The fear in her eyes exhaust me and I thrust the food into her lap and start on my own plate of food. As my wife I have to protect her, which seems like an impossible task considering she's accident prone.

The girl sits up and takes a deep breath. She points at me, makes an angry face, then points to herself.

Am I mad at her?

I look at her for a long time. In all fairness she didn't do anything. Wrong place at the wrong time. I shake my head and run a hand over my face. I should have left her, acted like I didn't hear her crying and banging on the locked door.

She chews on her full bottom lip, fidgeting her feet beneath her thighs, a tell-tell sign that she's nervous. She touches her chest. "Anne," she says.

She's introducing herself to me? Now she has a name. "Waya."

Anne points at me, raising a dark brow, stark compared to her pale skin. I nod and eat more, ignoring the way she looks at me like she has more questions.

"Food," she says, pointing to her lap and mine.

Sighing, I play her game. "Alisdayvdi." I nod, pointing to the food.

Once she finishes I decide it's time to tell her, there will be no hiding this arrangement. Through the open door a couple sits pressed against each other so I point to them, then gesture between us. "Anne, adalii, Waya." Anne, wife to Waya.

For a moment she is silent, looking at the couple, processing the gesturing. She gasps and stands outraged. "No! I am not your wife. I am not anyone's wife! No! Anne is NOT adalii with Waya!" she yells.

Obviously she is just as opposed to this idea as me. She storms from the wattle and I prop my head on my hand. She's crazy! Where does she think she can go? I'm sure here is better than out there with no food or shelter.

Yelling ensues outside and I know that voice. The words of anger, blaming for a deceased loved one. I curse and rush outside, looking around to see Ahyoka in Anne's face, young Anne whiter than a ghost, searching for a way out. For a moment I consider letting Ahyoka get her rage out but then others join and Anne cowers, backing away. Ahyoka raises a hand to harm Anne and I fly into action, putting myself between her and the mob.

"Yeliquu, she is to be my wife and no one is to lay a hand on her," I growl to everyone, looking each one in the eye, avoiding Ahyoka's stunned expression and take Anne back to the tent. I scrub my face.

There is no way to keep her in here forever.

Anne sobs, rambling in words I can't comprehend. I've experienced that sadness within the last few hours that I know she's lost someone. She curls on one side of the furs and I sit on the other side, letting my presence be a comfort. She tires herself out and she falls asleep.

I lay down, examining her face. It's peaceful in sleep. How can I marry her? I don't even know her. Her spirit seems free, maybe she fits in here more than either of us expect. My eyes drift and I notice her dirty clothes. Softly pulling a fur over her, I go to the clan elder Inola, possibly the only one in this village who doesn't despise my wife to be.

Inola stands, logging furs and meat ready to be dispersed. She pauses as I enter her tent, exhaustion weighing on my own shoulders.

"Evening, Elder Inola. My wife to be needs clothing."

She smiles, shuffling towards bundles of clothes. "The wedding is tomorrow. It is time you settled down. I believe she is a good match for you." her face is warm and I find it difficult to be mad.

"How?" I ask as she hands me the stack of clothes.

She laughs. "I sense it," she pats her heart and moves onto her next task.

She senses making Anne my wife will be a good thing? My heart jumps at the thought of something spiritual binding me and Anne that maybe elder Inola saw in a vision... could our souls really be bound?