xv

As soon as I'm ready, I feel the ship land. Glancing in the reflective metal of the interior of the ship, I nod. I didn't want to show any weakness, so I re-dressed my wound so it'd be under my pants and hidden, and stitched the hole in my pants over the bandage with extra fabric. My wrist had mostly healed, so I just unwrapped it. I then redid my hair in its normal style to finish off the put-together look and I gotta say, I don't look all bad. Let's just hope my slight limp goes unnoticed.

"You ready?" I ask Mando as the child's hidden compartment closes. I'm uneasy about keeping him in there again when it clearly doesn't work, but it's pretty much our only option, especially if these people are as bad as Mando says. 

"Not really," he presses the button for the ramp to lower. "Let me do the talking, yeah?" I nod and we descend the ramp. Mando looks around, walking slowly, posture tense and ready to strike. His hand rests on his blaster as always, and it seems as if he's looking for someone.

I have no idea who, until a round, bearded old man calls out, "Mando. Is that you under that bucket?" He's grinning, although he looks a little rough around the edges, his hair shaggy and his clothes somewhat ragged.

"Ran," Mando says cautiously in greeting. He shakes the old man's outstretched hand. 

"I didn't really know if I'd ever see you in these parts again. Good to see you." He claps a hand on Mando's shoulder and they begin to walk. I trail behind them closely, my hand ready to create a knife at any given moment- if the need arises. "You know, to be honest, I was a little surprised when you reached out to me. You know, cause I... I hear things. Like maybe things between you and the Guild aren't workin' out."

"I'll be fine." he insists, his voice leaving no room for question.

The old man nods a few times. "Okay. Well, you know the policy. No questions." He lays his hand on Mando's shoulder once more. "And you, you're welcome back here anytime."

We reach a bridge where we can look out onto the Crest and I listen to them talk as I keep my eyes on the ship, worrying for the child. "So, what's the job?" Mando inquires. 

"One of our associates ran afoul of some competitors and got himself caught. So I'm puttin' together a crew to spring him. It's a five person job; I got four. All I need is the ride, and you brought it." My head snaps to the two once I hear the numbers, and as the bit about the ship leaves this dislikable man's mouth, I narrow my eyes.

"You're going to have to make that six." Mando says once he catches my gaze.

"Oh, your new little friend right there?" he looks me up and down. "Well, I guess she did come with you. Alright, six."

"And the ship wasn't part of the deal." Mando protests, gazing at his prized possession.

"Well, the Crest is the only reason I let you back in here." the man makes an excuse. I tilt my head. Hadn't he just said a few minutes ago that Mando is 'welcome back anytime'? I knit my brows but keep quiet like Mando requested, not wanting to start trouble with the wrong people.

I refocus on the conversation as Mando tilts his own head at Ran, his disapproval clear. "What's the look? Is that gratitude?" the man walks around Mando, looking at him mockingly. He laughs, "Uh-huh. I think it is." Mando doesn't move an inch as the man teases him. I hold my tongue as best I can.

Finally, he walks away, beckoning us along. "Hey, Mayfeld." he calls out to a younger bald man with some sort of backpack on his shoulders.

"Yeah?" the man answers, turning.

"This is Mando, the guy I was tellin' you about. We used to do jobs way back when."

Mayfeld squints. "This is the guy?"