Chapter 2 - He's Gone?

Chris drove me back home and CJ was just coming outside, I slipped out of Chris's car and I pushed past CJ and went inside. "Chris, what's wrong with her?" CJ looked confused as Chris walked inside with CJ right behind him. "I think I need to talk to Melody." Chris walked upstairs and knocked on my door, he peeked around my door and I was facedown on my checkered blanket and in silence. Chris sat next to me and I scooted closer to him. "Come here." He pulled me into his arms hugging me closer then ever. "It's gonna be okay. I'm here for you aren't I?" Chris rubbed my head smiling softly. "Yeah, but for how long?" I asked him curious. "As long as you want me here." He held me tight, like a never ending embrace. CJ was downstairs playing the PS2 when I walked hesitantly down the stairs with Chris right behind me. "CJ..." My voice cracked scared out of my mind to tell him the devastating news. "What?" He glanced back at me and back to the game. "I need to talk to you..." My eyes were burning and I wanted so much to cry. "Alright? What about?" He got up shutting off the game and walking to the dining table plopping himself into a chair. I sat infront of him and Chris sat by me with his hand locked with mine. "What the hell's going on?" CJ stared at me. I just looked down at the lightly tanned wood table. "Melody!" CJ hit the table making me jump. "I'm pregnant..." I slipped under my breath as the stinging in my eyes became to much and tears streamed down my flushed cheeks. "What?" He leaned in over the table. "I said I'm pregnant." I looked up at him with tears staining my face. He stared at me in shock for a short minute and leaned back in the chair. Chris rubbed my hand as I looked back down at the table with little drops of my tears on the wood. Chris looked at CJ who was now full of rage. "Should I go?" He stood up but I gripped his hand tighter. "Mel..." CJ looked at me with anger, pain, sorrow, and confusion. "As much as I want to kill that piece of shit, I'm gonna keep my calm and ask you what you want to do." I was even shocked by that and wiped my eyes trying to talk. "I don't want to get an abortion but I don't know if I can be a mom yet." I managed to choke that out of me and Chris looked at me then CJ. "I'll do it. I wanna help Melody and the baby and help raise it." CJ and I looked at Chris. "I'm serious." Chris kissed my head and looked at CJ. "I want to do this and be with Melody, but only if you are okay with it." CJ laughed looking at Chris then me. "Ahh hell, hope you know what you two are in for. Till then Chris you're welcome here anytime." And just like that things were set into motion, Chris and I were the talk of the school but Chris was as happy as could be given the circumstances. About a week later something didn't feel right at all, I went to gym and dressed out, and Lucy ran up to me in tears. "Melody! He's gone! Munro is gone!" She was crying so hard I couldn't understand her. "Slow down Lucy." I grabbed her shoulders trying to calm her down, but she just gripped my hand and drug me down the halls stopping at Munro's locker and flung it open. I stood there in dismay as the door stopped moving to the now empty locker. "Maybe he just got a new locker Lucy." I was more confused and she ran up to the Student Service desk talking to the Guidance Adviser. "Ma'am? Where is Munro Andrews?" The older woman looked through the records on her computer as I caught up with Lucy. "Munro Andrews withdrew about 2 hours ago. He just left not a half hour ago, but he left something in the office for his friend." Lucy and I walked to the office and picked up what Munro left, to my surprise it was labeled for me. Lucy sat with me as school let out and I had to get back to my locker in gym and change. We ran back and I kept the box tight against my chest and changed as fast as I could, grabbed my bag and the box and ran out. Chris was leaned against his car waiting for me, I put the box in my bag and hugged Chris as tight as I could. "Good to see you too." He smiled kissing my head. We pulled up to the house and I ran up to the door and to my room, opening my bag pulling out the box. "What's that?" Chris sat in front of me as I opened up the box. There laid the pictures of Munro and I as kids and a note on top. I opened it up reading carefully as my eyes teared up picking up his friendship bracelet he had cut off and put in the box. The bottom of the letter was signed with goodbye. "What's wrong?" Chris pulled me against him as I clutched the note and bracelet and cried. "He's gone Chris...Munro's gone." I never knew heartbreak till I read my childhood friend saying goodbye for the last time.