I

✩✩✩

𝔠𝔞𝔫𝔡𝔶, 𝔰𝔥𝔢'𝔰 𝔰𝔴𝔢𝔢𝔱 𝔩𝔦𝔨𝔢 𝔠𝔞𝔫𝔡𝔶 𝔦𝔫 𝔪𝔶 𝔳𝔢𝔦𝔫𝔰

✩✩✩

the summer of 1977

                               The entire neighborhood was playing a small game of hide and seek tag since all the kids were still too young to play manhunt with all the teens.  Seven year old, Olympia Bennett was with her small group of other seven-year-olds.  

                           There was Davey Armstrong, a smallish brown-haired boy who became the leader of this small group.  For a small kid his age he believed in the everyday childish theories like the lock ness monster, bigfoot, and even aliens.  He'd tell the group all the time about them through the kiddie walkie talkies his parents gave him for his seventh birthday.  

                         Then there was Curtis Farraday, a kid, quite tall for his age with a lanky body and roundish glasses.  He was smart for his age but always laughed at when Davey told the others about crazy things like aliens.  

                       From there on was Dale Woodworth, the chubbier boy who was the only one who believed in Davey's theories.  Though, he'd never admit that.  Olympia had a special place for him in her heart.  He was the first one she met out of all the boys.  They bonded over cartoons and even some comics.  Her parents knew this boy very well and even liked that Olympia had such a good friend like him.  Later on, he introduced her to the rest of his friends.  

                       This included her next-door neighbor, Tommy Eaton.  The dark-haired boy was a trouble maker and she knew this from the start.  She would see him sneak out of his house every night to hide in his treehouse.  She'd remember some nights she'd see this from out her bedroom window and their eyes would meet and they'd smile back at each other.  But most nights he wouldn't look happy even through a smile and she never understood why.  

"Here, everyone turn on your walkies to this channel,"  Davey told all of us as we huddled around his house "my dad showed me how!"  he said proudly.  

"How?"  Olympia said confused.  "Mine's busted, it doesn't work!"  She pouted.  

"I can fix it," Tommy said reaching over her to press the buttons on the walkie.  "Try it,"  He smiled at her.  

"Testing!"  She said as Tommy held down the button for her.  It echoed around the groups walkies as she excitedly hugged the raven-haired boy.  "Thank you!"  She said frantically as she pecked his cheek.  His cheeks flushed a red color as the blonde interrupted them.  

"Okay! Let's play."  Curtis spoke up.  

"So, we'll start with Davey seeking, and once he tags you, you have to help him find the others!"  Dale spoke up.  

"Okay, Woody!"  Olympia said while he smiled at the nickname she gave him.  

"No hiding together and no bases!  Got it?"  Davey asked.  "And use the walkie if you see someone running."  He grinned a toothy smile.