Chapter 3: Why does everyone want a piece of Granger?

Cover Art: https://www.instagram.com/athena.arttt/

Also available on Archive of our Own: https://archiveofourown.org/works/24964786/chapters/61172995

***

THUMP!

Silvanna brushes the fringe out of her face as she watches the javelin she threw land some metres away in the field.

"Not bad, Knight." comes Moskov's voice from behind her. "But watch this!"

Silvanna turns as she sees Moskov running, then hurling his javelin in the air. It flies in a perfect arc and lands, predictably, a lot further than Silvanna's javelin.

Typical. She's glad the men's and women's javelin events are separated by gender. She would never win if she competed against Moskov.

"Wanna go again?" Moskov asks, jogging up behind her.

"Hmm, maybe later. I need to stretch out." Silvanna rotates her ankles on the pretense of warming up, when really, the corners of her eyes are watching out for some people coming up.

She spies a brunette with a little lock of white fringe, jogging by, coming into her line of vision. Granger. She pretends to stretch out a little more.

Her beau (boyfriend? lover? secret liaison??) is on the track and field team. No surprise there, Granger's 100m dash is unparalleled. She sees him now, as the track and field team are warming up. He's jogging together with a girl with incredibly long blonde hair tied up in two ponytails, both of them laughing over something.

Silvanna tries not to be jealous, she knows Layla is just a friend. But it's rather annoying when everyone seems to want to talk to Granger all the time. She thinks Granger is really handsome. Ugh, but why must everyone else think that too?

"Are you gonna come train with me?" Moskov asks again. "Or are you gonna keep ogling him?"

"What?" Silvanna answers a little too quickly. "What are you talking about?"

"Please," Moskov smirked. "Don't think I didn't notice you disappearing into a closet with loverboy at that party."

"It was a room." Silvanna says indignantly, as they go to collect their javelin sticks. Moskov grins in victory. "Anyway, you're one to talk. I know about you and Selena.... I thought she only has time for handsome guys?" Silvanna teases. Moskov rolls his eyes, but that seems to shut him up.

"Heyy!" a voice cuts in. "Can I get a picture of you guys for the student union website?"

Silvanna turns, and sees a silver-blonde guy in an orange hoodie. She's seen him before, a freshman just like her brother, but she doesn't know his name. He was holding a camera pointing at her.

"Uhh, I guess?" Silvanna says. Moskov nods and shouts at a couple of others nearby also on the javelin team, "Oi! Picture time!"

They gather and smile for a few pictures as the guy excitedly snaps away. He nods as he scrolls through the photos, while they disperse.

"Hey!" he suddenly looks up, "Aren't you that girl who's with Granger?"

Wait, how many people saw them go into that room at that party?

"Alucard and Granger and I always hang out!" He holds his hand out. "I'm Harith. I knew Alucard, then that's how I knew Granger. They're kind of a package deal."

"Cool, I'm Silvanna." Silvanna shakes Harith's hand, trying not to sound too nosy. "How long have you known them?"

"A couple of years. Oh there he is!"

They look around, and see Granger in sight again. This time, a cheerleader in a red and white tank top and black short shorts is with him, as she laughs and chats excitedly. Silvanna's heart sinks as she watches them.

"Ohh, Lesley! They used to be close!" Harith says smiling, before he suddenly realizes he should probably have not said that. Silvanna keeps her face neutral though she feels sour inside.

"They're probably just friends." Harith tries to add unnecessarily, just as Lesley throws her head back and laughs loudly, hitting Granger's arm playfully.

Silvanna forces a smile. "Hey Harith, did you want to take a photo of Alucard? The sword fighting team is training over there." she points over to the guys and girls jostling with their foam swords.

"Good idea!"

Harith waves Silvanna goodbye as he walks over to the sword fighting team. All Silvanna wants to do is to go over and put her arms around Granger or kiss him in public or something. But she knows it wouldn't be a good idea. And Granger's allowed to have friends, even if they're friends who seem to want to be more than just friends. She and Granger should settle it in private, if they even had anything to settle.

Silvanna picks up her javelin instead, working on her throw again.

A while later, Silvanna brushes the sweat off her face as glances up to spot Granger. It looks like the track and field team are done with training, as he's now changed into a red hoodie. Lesley is chatting with him again, patting Granger's shoulder. As Silvanna watches, Alucard and another guy in a red hoodie go over to chat to them, red-hoodie-guy draping an arm around Granger.

It's almost like everyone wants a piece of Granger, she thinks, half-amused.

Lesley swishes the long braid out of her face and says goodbye to the guys, giving each one a hug. She lingers a little longer with Granger, then sways off to join the other cheerleaders.

Harith is nearby taking photos of a purple haired girl while she shoves a giant dragon mascot on a stick at a boy with bushy eyebrows, proceeding to explain to him how to parade it around without the tail getting tangled.

"This is the way of the Great Dragon." she explains.

"Cool." Harith scribbles some notes.

"Hey, Luo Yi. Take a picture for me and my friends, will you?" Harith hands his camera over to the girl with purple hair. She nods as Harith calls Alucard, Granger and the red-hoodie-guy over.

"Hey! We should take a picture together!"

The four of them pose for the camera, Harith and Alucard with throwing up victory signs. The other guy also smiles and poses, but Granger awkwardly faces away, looking off into the distance.

Moskov cups his hands at his mouth. "Oi Silvanna's boyfriend, look at the camera!"

Granger finally turns his face to look at the camera just as Luo Yi snaps the picture.

Silvanna wished she could capture that moment when Lesley realized what Moskov said, and whirled around towards Silvanna in shock

It gets even better when Granger looks at Silvanna later, a shy smile on his face.

***