Chapter Thirteen: Halloween

Toby’s Point Of View

Knock, knock, knock! I groaned and pushed the covers off my body and shuffled towards the door. Half asleep, I pulled it open to reveal Isabella. “Hi, hi! Happy Halloween!” she greeted me, all bubbly.

“Umm… hi? What are you doing here?”

She laughed and pushed me out of the way and stepped into my hotel room. “It’s Halloween, Toby. We have to decorate my house and go candy shopping!”

“Not to wreck your happy mood or anything, but all the good candy is probably already gone.”

She waved the comment off and unzipped my suitcase, pulling out some clothes. “Nah, I work at Dollar General. I have candy set aside already. We just have to go through it.”

She pushed the clothes into my arms and shoved me into the bathroom. “Now get dressed, we have a long day ahead of us.”

“You don’t have to work today?” I asked, as Bella got out of her car and we walked into Dollar General.

“Nope. I get all the holidays off. My manager loves me.” As soon as she stepped inside, we were greeted by a tall, dark haired man.

“Morning, Belle.” He said to Bella.

“Morning, Zach!”

“Here for your candy?”

“I am, I am! By the way, this is Toby. NOT Tony.”

Zach raised an eyebrow and stared at me for a moment. “This is Toby?”

I stuck my hand out. “I’m Toby.”

He slowly shook it. “Right… I’d figured he’d look… different.”

“Can you just unlock the back room so I can get my candy and leave? I’m in a hurry.”

“Yeah, yeah.”

I waited outside the door for Bella and Zach to come back. He’d figured I’d look different? What was that supposed to mean? When Bella came back out, she handed me an arm-full of candy.

“Take these to the car. I’m right behind you.”

I nodded and walked outside, popping the trunk of Bella’s car and dumping the candy in. How much candy could one person need? Bella walked out with two arm-fulls of candy. I took half of it from her and put it with the rest.

We both climbed in the car and started back to her house. “How much fooping candy do you need?”

“Half of it is for me and the other half is for my grandma. She lives next door.”

“Ah, and I’m assuming I’m going to get to meet this grandma?”

“And my aunt, uncle, and cousins. By the way, after we decorate my house, and take those cupcakes to my grandma, we’re going to a Haunted House.”

“So your aunt and uncle and cousins live with your grandma?”

“…For now.”

Instead of pulling into her own driveway, Bella pulled into the driveway to the right of hers. We got out, grabbed half of the candy from the trunk, and walked up the porch steps. Bella knocked and the door opened. The person who opened the door had blonde, curly hair and blue eyes. Right beside her, was a younger version of her.