Chapter 7: The Bloodhound Law

I turn back, and reach out my hand to pull him out.

"Jesus Christ Alice," he cries in pain, "watch it! Bleeding guy here!"

"I'm sorry!" I moan, "it's the only way!"

Slowly and painfully, he wiggles his way through the narrow window and onto the grass. His leg is smeared with dark blood, and even in the night I can see it glinting off the moonlight.

"Yes!" I say, both of us panting hard as I finally pull him out. We sit for a few seconds to catch our breaths as I shut the window behind him.

I bite my lip nervously, thankful for the darkness. They definitely couldn't see us, and if they didn't hear us we might make it out alive after all.

"You really need to lose a few pounds," is all I can say to break the tension.

"It must be all the three course meals the master's been feeding me," he grins cheekily at me.

"We need to get you bandaged."

"Do you think it's safe?"

I listen carefully. "Do you hear that?"

"No," he says, and I strain my ears harder.

"Voices in the cellar. Do you reckon he's looking for us down there?"

"...for the last time, Roger, there is no one here. Would you give up your silly notion that I have any intention of harbouring slaves and just--"

"What's this, ey, then? What's this, you old bat? Blood, on the window! Fresh, too. Care to explain it?!"

I hold in my breath, and I see Tom's widen in terror. He clasps his hand over his mouth, trying to mask his painful gasps and not stretch his bleeding leg.

"It's probably just the cat--gone and eaten one of the rats. Always finding the blood, all over the place. It's why I keep Lucy around, she keeps the place nice and pest free. They're always comin' in here through the cellar window. I'd really ought to lock it better."

"Always full of excuses, eh? One day. I'll catch you additt. All they say, it's true about ye and I bloody know it. Why, if I had..."

His voices trails off as he and Janice go back up the stairs.

I exhale deeply in relief, letting out a shaky laugh.

"Too damn close for comfort. Reckon he'll be leaving now and I can get me a bandage?" asks Tom quietly.

"Better to be safe and wait." But I know we can't wait much longer, he can't afford to leave his wound out like this. It is a long, deep gash that extends from his thigh to the border of his knee. I rip the border of my shirt and wrap it around his cut, applying as much pressure as I can and smearing my hands with thick blood in the process. Tom stares at me solemnly, and I can see he is trying his best not to express his pain as we wait for the time to pass.

"Clumsy oaf," I mutter, and he laughs weakly.

I hear distant laughter, and I quickly rise to my feet.

"Stay here."

"As if I have much choice,"  Tom mutters.

I walk slowly around the back of the farmhouse, cursing silently every time I step too loudly on the gravel. I listen for voices, straining my ears for a sign of either Roger or Janice.

"My my, the amount of energy it takes to rid the house of a pest like him! He's thorough, darling, I'll give him that," says Janice from the front of the house.

"Not thorough enough!" giggles Annie.

"Did you find Tom and Alice, though?" asks Janice worriedly.