Threat

I breathe heavily.

My phone sounds the familiar humming noise to signify that I've been hung up on. Hung up on by some unknown soul.

And that soul has my mom's phone.

But hey, no worries.

Jade crashes through the door, "Who was that?" she asks.

"You tell me," I mutter under my breath.

"What?" she says.

"My mom. My mom rang," I answer, my heart pounding.

"Oh, well we're missing the movie," she says, beckoning me to go inside.

I nod and follow her inside, my mind full of worry. I see the big screen ahead show another action scene and I glance at my phone.

I try and convince myself it was a bad connection, or possibly my imagination, but it doesn't work. I know what I heard and nothing nor anything could tell me otherwise.

I plop onto my seat and look at the ground. I try to convince myself to just watch the movie, don't think about the phone call, enjoy the movie..... And when I'm actually getting into the movie, my phone vibrates, and vibrates, and vibrates, and vibrates. I flick my finger across the screen to find I've recieved alot of texts from my mum's phone.

Mum. 18:46

Your prize just got here.

---------------------

Mom. 18.46

Are you scared?

----------------------

Mom. 18.46

You should be.

-----------------

Mom. 18.46

I'm going to get you.

------------------

I gulp and turn my phone off. My heart thumps and I feel as though everyone in the theatre can hear it. How could they not? I twiddle my fingers nervously and my heart continues to beat loudly in my chest. I look at Jade who is absorbed in the movie and feel sweat rise on my forehead.

It could be a joke, right? A joke to scare me. If it was, it was doing the trick.

The screen that shows the movie turns off and shouts come from around me.

"What is going on?" screams Jade angrily, "I want a refund!"

A sentence forms on the screen, in blinding white against the black, one letter at a time.

It is not a joke.

I scream and many shouts come from around me.

"WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!"

"WHAT IS THIS?! WHAT IDIOT DID THIS?!"

"This wasn't in the movie," comments a confused little boy.

Several workers run in and gawp at the screen.

"I'm sorry, I don't know - I don't know what happened," says a worker loudly.

"I do," I mutter to myself.

Jade looks upwards, "What idiot is working at the projector?!"

I look up too, "No one," I whisper.