xxiv - 𝘦𝘧𝘧𝘭𝘰𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘤𝘦

The white lighted sunrise broke through a gap in the heavy drawn curtains, casting a single bar of irritatingly concentrated light onto the sleeping face of Verity

She grizzled at it's interruption of her rest, tossing over to fight back her waking state and return to sleep in these irresistibly warm sheets.

But the grazing of cotton alone against her shoulders, and feeling of her bare skin connecting with another's jolted any hopes of drifting away again into oblivion.

Her hazel eyes fluttered open, and slowly and gradually the recollections came back - the passion, the heady feeling of pleasure and pure selfish lust - she looked over at Tommy who laid beside her.

Verity wasn't quite sure how she would've thought he'd looked asleep - but it wasn't anything like what was in front of her. Because of his naturally rather dry and coarse nature at times, his stubborn attitude, outright grumpiness - she would've thought he'd maybe sleep with a constant grizzling look on his expression but...

She was sweetly surprised, he looked untroubled, gentle... was the word angelic perhaps too patronising? Like a gorgeous statue, could it possibly be a crime to disturb him?

As she gently traced her eyes over him, she exhaled gently and expectantly waited for the feelings to come - the guilt, the shame, the embarrassment and the frustration of letting herself do this.

Yet they never came.

Once upon a time, she had always expected she would be furious with herself if she ever let herself fall into his clutch. But now it had happened, and in the events in which it had fallen into place - it felt natural, Verity even felt a certain... happiness? She sighed to herself at the warm haziness in her chest ... feelings she had perhaps been trying to deny but now there was no use.

She wasn't sure when, or quite - how it happened - but she had fallen for the likes of Thomas Shelby.

Her mind was about to prepare her to get up when his sudden shifting beside her stopped Verity dead in her tracks. She wasn't sure why she felt panic shoot through her - and put it down to a fear of rejection or him brushing it off like nothing had happened.

For a split second she even contemplated maybe trying to throw herself back down and pretending to be asleep but, before she knew it his sleepy eyes were on hers. There was no telling anything from the look on his face initially. What could she even say to him?

Lips agape and at least ready to fill this crushing moment of silence, Verity readied her mind before the sounds of distant voices and the clatter of plates and cutlery filled the air.

"We should probably show our faces." Tommy at last said something, the sound of his sleep laden, low tones breaking the otherwise silence in the room.

He wasn't wrong - Verity knew she'd have to go downstairs - but the prospect of seeing his family and them probably guessing what had happened last night made her want to curl up with embarrassment.