Waiting Game

AN: I wrote this just to post something while I work on an original. Hope you enjoy. The song is by BANKS called waiting game.

I'm thinking it over
The way you make me feel all sexy but it's causing me pain
I wanna lean on your shoulder
I wish I was allowed but I don't wanna cause any pain
And if I'm feeling like I'm evil we got nothing to gain

It wasn't suppose to happen like this. They weren't suppose to happen like this.

It started off innocent and easy. Friends. Strictly friends. They did simple stuff together like yoga, hiking, and surfing.

The hangouts were a bit odd at first because initially, they weren't friends. They ended up having a deep conversation during a bonding exercise that focused specifically on camaraderie between players of the same position.

They were paired together and realized they enjoyed a lot of the same things. It became clear that they had a lot in common and a lot of their friends were mutual. So why were they not hanging out?

When the Red Stars had come to Portland, it had been a perfect opportunity. They had been looking at each other every chance they got, like something new and wonderful had been discovered.

Maybe it had. Alex was determined to find out.

When the whistle blew, she shook hands, unable to find Christen for a moment. She saw a mane of black hair between a sea of red and blue and set off towards it.

She came to halt several feet away, taking in the conversation the other forward was in the midst of. Christen was talking to Tobin, her teammate.

That normally wouldn't cause her to pause, Tobin was a great friend of hers. No, it was the way they were talking. Their body language exuded a familiarity like...like close friends? Very close friends?

No! Lovers! They looked familiar to each other like they were lovers. Their bodies were gravitating to each other naturally, wide grins on both faces, touches that seemed subconscious.

She felt like an intruder as they peered into each others eyes with a clear fondness. She averted her eyes, thoughts heavy in her head.

Alex had a great memory...when she was paying attention. Sure, she saw them interact but had they given any indication of being a couple, let alone friends?

Surely she would remember something? Right? Why did this even matter?

A hand on her bicep had her look up from her cleats to the source of the touch. Christen stood smiling at her slightly, a touch of concern in her eyes.

"You ok Alex?"

"I'm perfect. And this is perfect, because you are just the person I was looking for."

A slight redness accompanied Christen's  light brown cheeks. Alex eyebrow raised instantly. She hadn't said anything inappropriate, or had she?

"Well I'm right here." Christen said awkwardly, gesturing to herself.

A slow grin spread across Alex's face, making Christen scratch the back of her neck and clear her throat.

"Why yes you are. I was wondering if you wanted to go to Voodoo Doughnuts with me tomorrow. They have the most unique doughnuts and they taste pretty good too." Her hand slipping under her jersey to cup her rumbling stomach while she spoke.

Alex missed the way Christen's eyes tracked the motion, lingering for a long while. "Uh sure. What time?"

"Probably 11 am if that's cool? It's a Monday so the lines shouldn't be long. I can pick you up?" Alex waited as Christen thought about it.