CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE: Forgiveness, 1464

Just an hour later Jaquetta Woodville walked into the room Duchess Cecily sat in with her ladies with Catherine on the side. She stood alongside her daughter, Elizabeth Woodville, and a few of her other daughters.  Elizabeth looked uneasy when she locked eyes on Catherine, the only person in the room given a seat beside the Dowager Duchess.  Cecily sat before her, wearing a gown covered in jewels "Duchess Cecily. Lady Catherine of York" Elizabeth greeted both women, a large smile on her face, "It is an honor to meet you both--"  Cecily turned her head away from Elizabeth, as if to tell her to shut up.

Catherine couldn't help to smile a little, seeing as Elizabeth was left uneasy. "I am not happy about this marriage," Cecily spoke up, slowly turning to look Elizabeth in the eye once more, "You are not the Lancastrian woman I expected my son to marry in these previous months. Edward deserves  a royal princess."  Immediately all eyes fell on Catherine who gulped, trying to fix her posture, she tensed up

"Please."She warned the woman who, just moments ago.  "Quiet now, child. You and I both know it to be the truth," Cecily continued on, placing a comforting hand over Catherine own hand. Catherine sighed in defeat, realizing that Elizabeth and her family now had every reason to hate her even more than they most likely already did.  "That's a shame. We're all delighted," Jaquetta Woodville spoke up and Cecily had an unamused look on her face.  "I would remind the 'Lady Rivers' that the wedding was a secret one which--" She began to say, only to get interrupted.  "Private one," Jaquetta corrected her in a calm tone, "It was private. Not a secret one. I was there. As were other witnesses. Which is more than I can about the other marriage you speak of."    

She was actually quite impressed how strong they spoke up. "But if your son the King did not invite you to this one, I'm afraid you'll have to take it up with him," Jaquetta continued on, snapping Catherine  out of her thoughts.  "Your daughter is a widow and years older than my son!" Cecily complained, her anger. 

"Your right, I'm sure he has been experienced before," Jaquetta retorted, causing Catherine to quietly gasp, an offended look on her face since she knew she was referring to little Arthur.