4: Something's Different

They were completely blind to how senseless their conversation was going to be.

"So," Taeyong started, "What was your name again?"

"Jihae." She politely laughed.

"Of course! I didn't forget, it was on the tip of my tongue." He was nodding like an idiot, desperate to keep the conversation going - god forbid things become anymore uncomfortable.

Jihae wasn't stupid though. She could see how Taeyong was holding himself like he wanted to take up as little space as possible, his skinny frame and oversized clothes only exaggerating that fact. "You don't want to be here... Do you?"

This got a shudder out of him, answering her question using his body language alone.

"I'm not upset about what you did." Her voice was more mellow now, less sure. "I admire you and I don't want to make you uncomfortable like this."

Taeyong traced his finger over his jawline, the sensation of his own touch grounding him. She picked-up on and pinpointed exactly how he was feeling, "I'm too readable."

"That's not a bad thing." Jihae retorted, happy they were moving past the surface-level stuff. "Do you usually get nervous, or am I special?" She finished with a satisfied smirk to Taeyong's annoyance.

Her playfulness brought out his signature nervous laugh, making Taeyong realise just how little control he had over his emotions.

The positive shift in atmosphere was like waking up from a strange dream

The positive shift in atmosphere was like waking up from a strange dream. In that moment, he wasn't an idol or someone covering their guilt, he was simply his awkward-self. He grinned, letting some tension ease from his shoulders, "Right. I'm happy this is going well, but I did have something in-mind to make-up for everything."

"A present from Lee Taeyong himself? What an honour." Jihae exaggerated. Her real enthusiasm couldn't be hidden though as her mind began to race.

He removed his gaze from the floor, looking her way. Then, he pulled his hand from behind his back to reveal an envelope.

"Very mysterious..." She smiled, tearing the seal off to reveal the small polaroid card inside. "A picture of you?"

"Read it." He replied, returning his gaze to the ground again as she reads his scribled writing. His eyes were filled with the anticipation he didn't want her to notice.

"Turn over for a surprise..." She read aloud. "Here we go I guess."