5: Johnny Won't Let Up

Words left Jihae.

She stared into his waiting eyes as her heart fell into silence.

"I know it doesn't make up for much

"I know it doesn't make up for much." Taeyong kept his voice level, trying to stop her from noticing the anticipation and nervousness that was curling at his stomach.

She searched her mind for a response, "Who's number is it?"

"Mine." He smirked, stretching his arms above his head and letting out a noise of satisfaction when he felt her gaze leave the polaroid and reach him.

"Do you think you're that important..."

"I'm your one-way ticket into SM. You want to dance professionally, right?" The small smirk stretched a bit wider.

Jihae laughed. And laughed.

"Don't laugh!" Taeyong turned pink, annoyed that he didn't know what she was thinking or why she was enjoying this so much at the expense of his embarrassment.

"Sorry... I wasn't laughing at you, honestly!" She was the one pink now, mubling out "I'm just happy."

Taeyong snickered, the tease coming out before he considered the words. "You're pretty easy, aren't you?"

Her laughter died down. "I'm not the one handing over my phone number."

Taeyong quirked an eyebrow. "Touché." He retorted, "Anyway, this was a great catch-up but I have a flight to catch."

There was a thoughtful pause. "When should I call you?" She asked, hoping secretly that he'd say tomorrow.

"Text me your number and I'll be the one calling you."

"Do you like keeping me on edge?" Jihae asked quietly making the tone shift instantly.

"I don't know," Taeyong replied honestly. "I just—we're friends. We're joking around."

With that, the conversation ended just the way it had started.

Awkward.

Taeyong's flight back to Korea gave him hours to go-over what he said and, upon his return, he was desperate to chat with some of his members and forget all about it.

"Thanks for having lunch with me

"Thanks for having lunch with me..." Taeyong said.

There was a long moment of silence before Yuta spoke, having already inhaled half of the bowl. He pointed his chopsticks at Taeyong. "Are you going to call her tomorrow?"

Taeyong's nose crinkled as the end of the sticks brushed against him. "I am... Can we talk about something else though?"

"Johnny won't let you just change the subject. He won't go as easy on you as I do."

"I already apologised!" Taeyong lashed back, gaining him several glares from the other eating customers.

The silence returned after Taeyong's outburst, and Yuta let out an awkward cough. "I'm only being honest. You're rooming with Johnny still, right?"

"Yea, I think it'll be fine though." Taeyong replied with a softer tone, genuinely feeling bad about making Yuta feel uncomfortable.

Out of nowhere, Yuta leaned in a little too close. "When you finally work up the courage to video call, can I talk with her?"

"No! Why would you even-"

"-Why? Are you getting possessive?" Yuta laughed, cutting Taeyong off and making him blush without missing a beat. "Tae, unless there's something between you two, I don't think you can really say no."

"Fine, whatever."