eight

pilot

"well look who we have here

"well look who we have here." John B says as he pulls up the boat beside Pope on the dock. "we have a safety meeting. attendance mandatory."

"club rules, Pope. no excuses." I joke and put my hands on my hips. the boy was filling a bucket with water, which I'm sure the last thing he wanted to do.

"I can't, my pops got me on lockdown." Pope whines while Heyward walks up behind him, surveying us.

"come on man." JJ urges before putting his hand into his shoulder and mimicking radio static. "your dad's a pussy. over."

"oh I heard that ya little bastard." Heyward warns as he comes closer. I hit JJ in the side as a reprimanding, hoping he'd keep his mouth shut. the last thing any of us need is to forever be on Heyward's bad side.

"we need your son."

"yeah, and island rules. day after hurricane's a free day." both John B and JJ are toeing the line, so I turn to reach over and smack John B upside the head as well.

"y'all quit." I growl, wishing they'd both listen to me. knowing the both of them there's no way in hell they would.

"who the hell made that up?" Hayward questions, and I know there's no bullshitting now. Pope would have to either run for it and risk getting his ass whooped, or be miserable the rest of the day with his dad.

JJ steps forward, and immediately I facepalm. why do I even bother? "uh, pentagon I think? we have security clearance, I have a card."

"yes, if you'd like to see our cards we would be glad to show you." I join in with sarcasm dripping in my voice. JJ turns to send me a wink, almost saying thanks for back up. "it's a very serious card, sir."

"you think I'm stupid?" Heyward snaps as Pope turns to him begging to be released. I watch as they banter back and forth, and a part of me aches with pain from missing my own dad. granted, my dad would've been a pogue himself so he let me run wild.

Pope finally jumps in the boat after some encouragement from John B and JJ, and I grin even though Heyward seems furious as his son's action. "I promise I'll do it tomorrow dad!" Pope shouts as John B pulls the boat away.

"we'll bring him back in one piece, I promise!" John B yells while waving, and I'm tempted again to hit him. as we start coasting towards the marsh, I notice Kiara in the distance walking towards a dock. "oh, top o' the mornin' to ya!"

"good morning boys, and Lyv." she looks at me with a smile on her face. JJ helps her onto the boat and we all immediately dig a beer from the cooler she brought with her. "salud."

"skoal."

————

"let me show you a party trick!" JJ exclaims while standing up from his seat, beer in hand. I immediately scoot to the front of the boat, not knowing what is about to happen. "hey, Pope, can you go a little faster please?"