// 22

(c) daydrexming 2015

--

Being in detention has a way of sucking. It's quiet, really long, and really boring. Plus, you have a monitor that smells like cat pee and is probably one of the worst, meanest tachers you have ever met. And I'm not exaggerating.

However, being paired up with Ryan (who is still not speaking to me as of right now) also has it's own way of sucking.

If this was supposed to be some kind of working together exercise or something like that, it was not doing it's job. It's not that Ryan wasn't doing his fair share of the work, because he totally was, we just happened to not be doing it together.

I looked down at my cart of books and sighed. I had barely made a dent in it and I had been doing this for at least fifteen minutes. I let out a small groan and picked a book off of the cart.

"Need help?"

I almost jump at the sound of Ryan's voice- I was surprised to hear it. I looked up at him. He was staring at me, waiting for a response. I couldn't tell if this was a joke or not.

"U-u-uh sure?" It comes out unsurely, almost in the form of a question. I bite my lip realizing how stupid I sounded.

He nods, with a blank expression on his face. "Yes I'm sure." He sounded sincere, like it wasn't a joke. My eyes widen - Ryan was actually being semi-nice to me. Sure, he still wasn't himself, but this was more of the Ryan I was used to.

"Well, uh, okay then." I say, picking up a book and sliding it into where it belonged. I looked over at him and gave him a quick, weak smile.

Silence. More silence. I put another book away and looked up at him.

"So..." I started awkwardly. "How've you been?" I asked him, not really wanting to talk to him, but I hate the silence.

"I'm fine," he coughs. "You?"

"Um, I've been better." I reply, looking down, not being able to take the awkwardness.

He begins to whistle quietly as he puts some books away, while I raise my eyebrows and do the same, a million things running through my mind.

"Ryan..." I begin.

"Yeah?" Is what I get in response.

I sigh, open my mouth to find some words, and then say, "Ryan - why are we even fighting?"

"Honestly, Ash, I can't even really remember." Ryan looks down, and I can't help but follow his head.

"Then why are we staying mad at each other?" I ask. "Can't we just move past this?"

"Look, Ash, I'm sorry for what I said. You're not a bitch, you're far from it. I'm sorry for getting us into detention....I feel awful for punching Thomas. I don't know what has gotten into me lately." I want to remind him that Alexis is part of the reason he's acting so weird, but I keep my mouth shut. "I never miss practice and my grades are starting to fall behind. I know what you're going to say: Alexis. But, she's actually not the reason."

"Then what is the reason, Ryan?"

"Well, ever since she came back into my life, everyone has hated her. I guess I just got mad and I decided to slack off."

"So, we're the reason?" I bite my lip, my voice getting softer - barely audible. I had to force the words to come out.

"No...no, I didn't mean it like that." He assures me, crouching down next me, his voice sweet and in a whisper.