Chapter 5

Nagising ako na mabigat ang pakiramdam ko. Nang gumalaw ako ay 'di ko namalayang nagising si Patrick na natutulog sa kiliran ko. 

"Okay ka lang?" tanong niya na  puno ng pag-alala sa kanyang boses. Umiwas lang ako ng tingin at tumango.

Nanatiling tahimik ang paligid nang dumating ang nurse kaya inayos ko ang sarili kong umupo at hinayaan kong alayan ako ni Patrick.

"Sir, gamot niyo ho," iininom ko kaagad ang gamot habang sinusuri niya ang dextrose at umalis na rin kaagad pagkatapos. 

Nang makalabas ang nurse ay narinig kong bumuntong hininga si Patrick.

"Bakit 'di mo sinabi sa akin?" napalingon ako sa kaniya na puno ng pagtataka, nagtitigan kami ng ilang segundo bago niya pinagpatuloy ang kanyang sasabihin.

"Tangina Vince! Ba't di mo sinabi may sakit ka pala? Edi sana hindi na kita pinatrabaho para 'di lumala ang sakit mo," galit niyang ani. I could see in his face that he is furious that I was keeping it a secret. 

"It's not your fault, okay? It was mine. I didn't take care of myself that's why it got worse," I explained.

"Then why didn't you tell me, Vince? I would have understood your situation, why must you keep it hidden, for God's sake," he frustately asked.

"Oh shut up, Rick! As if you don't have any secrets that you're not telling me," I look at him in disbelief. The anger from his face subsided and replaced by guilt.

"Now that you know what I keep on hiding, would you like to share yours, perhaps?" I asked.

"I-I shouldn't be the one who should say this," he stammered.

"Wow, just wow. So maybe I'll just sit here and wait until someone will tell me what the fuck is going on now?" I said in full of sarcasm. 

"No, it's not what I mean, I just want to" I cut him off before he could continue.

"Don't give me that bullshit Patrick. I'm not dumb to not know what you said  that night. I remember every single thing you fucking said," I scowled.

I heard him sigh and before he could speak the door opened and we saw Tia run towards me.

"I thought something happened to you," she sobbed weakly. I patted her head to calm her down.

"I'm fine, Tia. How did you know I'm here at the hospital?" 

"Kuya Patrick told me you got admitted at the hospital," she said in between her sobs. I look at Patrick.

"Did you tell anything about my disease?" I mouthed to him and he was shaking his head to say no

"What happened kuya?" she asked. 

"I was overworking myself," I answered but she look like she didn't believe anything I said. I look at Patrick asking for help to convince her.

"T-tama. Hindi siya n-nakatulog ng ilang araw at hindi kumakain ng maayos kaya nawalan ng malay si Vince," napatingin si Tia kay Patrick na para bang sinusuri niya ito. 

"Vince Houston, how dare you!" she exclaimed.

"Let me explain," before I could say anything she pinched my side making me frown in pain.

"I understand that you're doing your best but you should take care of yourself kuya Vince! At ikaw kuya Patrick! Bakit mo ba binibigyan ng madaming trabaho si kuya ha?!" galit niyang ani.

"Because your brother Vince is the best employee I ever had!" he declared.

"Shut up, kuya Patrick!" she rolled her eyes and faced me.