Chapter Sixteen - The Woman

Holmes - oh, who was she kidding now? - Sherlock, was currently seated at the tea table, reading something in the newspaper through a magnifying glass. It was the morning following their evening with Mycroft - they're eventful evening. 

"Is your eyesight really that terrible?" she poked at him while sipping her tea.

"I'll have you know, my eyesight is in tip top shape." He lifted his head so he was staring at her through the glass, his eye enlarged.  

She giggled.  "Ah. So that's why you called me plain during our first meeting, is it?"

"You're not going to let that go, are you?"

"Never."

"Well then, I guess I shall have to make it up to you."

"Oh, and how do you expect to do that?"

"By telling you the opposite until you believe me."

"For how long?"

"For as long as it takes."

Now he had her smiling. She chuckled, but at the same moment she was sipping her tea, so she spluttered a bit and had to set the teacup down and clear her throat. He noticed this, her flustered state, and grinned a boyish grin. 

And there it was again, that playful, flirtatious banter. And my was it fun! And she had to admit it was nice not to have John and Mycroft breathing down their necks and commenting to them over their playful flirtations. 

"Mr. Holmes, the post is here for you." Mrs. Hudson brought in a letter.

"Ah - and who's it from, Nanny?"

"I wouldn't know. Unlike you, I would never go through someone else's mail."

Caroline chuckled - that sounded like a story she would enjoy hearing. 

He took the letter and read it and instantly his expression changed. It looked as though he'd seen a ghost. "I have to go." And with that he grabbed his coat and practically flew out the door. 

"Well goodness, I wonder what that was all about," remarked Mrs. Hudson.

Caroline was just as startled and confused.  "Indeed. Must have been something important." 

-------------------------------------------

Our Room, the Grand.

Two o'clock 

Followed by a heart. 

That was all the letter contained.  But that was all he needed.  And she knew that. 

Arriving at the Grand Hotel he didn't even stop at the front desk - he didn't need to. He just headed right on up to the third floor as though he owned the place, to the familiar room.

The all too familiar room.

He knocked a couple of times.

"Enter!" her voice called from within.

He did not enter.  He stood there until he heard her footsteps coming towards the door from the inside.  Then it opened.

And then he saw her.

"Oh Sherlock, you don't need to knock. This is your room as well." 

"Didn't know what I'd find inside."

"Are you satisfied, disappointed?"

"Neither."

"Hmm. Well, do come inside." Irene opened the door further to allow him to step inside. He didn't follow her inside though, instead choosing to stand in the doorway.