CH 14: Coefficient of Friction

I smiled. "Castor, your insistence to marry me is something else. Am I that irresistible to you?" I kidded as the elevator doors slid open.

He laughed as we got off. "Well, what can I say, Mrs. Saenz, cupid hit me real hard."

"Cupid is stupid, don't trust him too much. He even has a song written about his idiocies."

"You're not a romantic, are you?" he asked before he took my hand in his. "Dito ang parking ko."

"Why are you too far from the condo's entrance?"

"Because I got this parking space late. All the prime spaces have already been bought. Mabuti nga meron pang isang nag-back-out so I was able to get one."

"I have three parking spaces. You can temporarily use one. At least 'yung parking ko nasa harap lang ng entrance papunta ng condo."

"I would really appreciate that. 'Yung tatlong magkakatabi sa'yo 'yun?"

"Yes. I'll move my other car to your space so you can use the one that's right next to the one I often use."

"Okay."

I stole a glance at him and he was smiling.

"What?" I asked.

"Bakit?" He looked inquiringly at me.

"Why are you smiling?"

"I didn't know you have a soft spot."

"What?" I scoffed. "What soft spot are you talking about? I am just trying to be nice because I was mean to you."

He laughed. "You weren't."

"I was a brat and don't try to butter me up by pretending that I was the Goddess of Peace and Mercy when we met."

"No, you were okay. I've been treated by women worse," he said as we reached his car.

He opened and held the door for me.

"Thank you." I slid into the passenger seat.

He closed the door and then jogged to the driver's side after stashing our bags in the back seat.

"Tell me about your women," I said as he turned the engine on.

"Are you being serious?" he asked while maneuvering his car out of the parking area. "Talagang gusto mong pag-usapan 'yung mga exes ko?"

"Wow, proud na proud s'ya sa salitang mga exes, ah."

He chuckled. "Hindi naman. Ano namang nakaka-proud d'un, eh, nandidiri ka nga sa akin dahil sa mga 'yun."

"I did not say that I was grossed out—"

He arched a questioning brow at me.

"Fine, I did. But, anyway, paano naman naging eighteen 'yung ex-girlfriends mo and you proudly claim that you've bedded them all, ha."

"Oh, no, I don't want to talk about them. Baka pag-awayan natin," he said as we emerged from the basement parking and into the morning traffic. "Besides, I don't kiss and tell."

"Isn't it too late for that declaration, Castor?"

He laughed.

"Come on, wala naman tayong relasyon, bakit naman natin pag-aawayan? But since I am going to pretend as your wife, isn't it only right that I know about your past affairs? I can tell you about mine, too."

"Which is a tad unfair because you've never had a boyfriend."

"It's not my problem that my standards are so high that no man ever came close to reaching it."