Chapter 20 Forevermore

Just as it was suspected, the hunt for the Alpha Metal took long enough to overlap with the wedding.

The beginning of the journey was very tense for Gelly; Seth's words resonated in her head since that evening. She had no idea why he acted like that.

That evening, Lenna tried to explain why Seth said what he did, but it was so hard for Gelly to understand. She can't tell when she's endangering herself because it doesn't bother her; since her creation, she was convinced that she only exists to follow orders and to keep certain people safe. Her own safety does not matter to her. That's exactly what she told Lenna and a few days later even Jeremy while she was piloting a big Alpha Craft on the mission.

"Gelly, that's not okay," he told her, "this can be considered self-harm."

"Self-harm?" she wondered.

Jeremy sighed and sat down beside her. "I should have expected that since it's mainly Ellie who teaches you about how to be a human."

"What is the matter with that?"

"She puts everyone before herself and it sometimes led to her overlooking herself. Things like that could be hurtful. She didn't take care of her health because she dedicated everything to help people, but that's just not okay. I think Seth sees how much you resemble that behavior and is worried about how this could end for you. Not to mention one of the laws of robotics; the robot has to protect itself from damage unless they need to protect a human."

"Ms. Lenna talked to me about a similar topic. She said that Mr. Seth might be scared of losing me after losing his family."

"That's understandable, Gel. He doesn't want to go through the same again. ...and he can't properly express his emotions...and..." He frowned at the sudden realization. "Now we're stuck with two people like inside a flying tin can for who knows how long..." He grinned softly at her, stroking her cheek with the back of his hand. "But hey, that's what we're here for, right? To help them with that."

"I do not know how," Gelly admitted, looking away.

"You don't need to know, you just need to be there for Seth and you still should take care of yourself; you staying safe is very important to him."

"I see..."

"How's your shoulder?" Jeremy asked her.

"I still cannot move my arm properly, but it is slowly healing."

"Good to know." He smiled at her. "Non-binary buddy."

Gelly smiled back.

Right outside of the cockpit, Ursula was laying on a bed, doing her usual nothing when others could work for her. She didn't exactly know what Seth was doing on the other side of the room; she figured that it had something to do with locating the Alpha Metal. After all, they were just blindly flying over areas where it could appear, hoping that they'd detect something.

Meanwhile, Spiny and Tank were playing with each other while Terry and Copy were chasing each other around. At one point, Copy jumped up at Ursula and then quickly bounced off her stomach, the force felt like a punch to the guts.

The green-haired shot up, glaring at the cat. "Do you really have to?!" she yelled.

Copy looked back at her, tilting their head confusedly.

Out of nowhere, Terry jumped onto Ursula and bounced off the same way Copy did before.

Ursula jumped to her feet. "You little rat! How dare you?!"

Terry backed away scaredly but then growled. Copy Jark did the same things without the growl.

"He's a chicken, not a rat, Ursula," Seth corrected her.