Chapter 4 - Miya and Zack

The crackling campfire and the crickets singing in the background are nostalgic. I used to go camping with my parents every summer, such precious memories. Sadly, those days are now gone.

I opened my backpack and grabbed some smoked meat that those weird animal-masked people had given me two days ago.

I took a bite, savoring the sweetness and bitterness of it. This may taste good, but too much smoked food can give you cancer or such. But who cares? Certainly not me.

After finishing my meal, I grabbed a few dried branches and tossed them on the fire. The flames grew large, warming both of my hands.

Suddenly, I can feel water droplets on my nose. I looked up and saw the sky slowly getting covered by cumulonimbus clouds.

That's not good.

I need a roof. A single tree won't keep me dry for the coming night. The only idea that comes to mind is to go back to the town where I met Miya and Steve two days ago.

- - -

Thunder rumbles in the background as the rain gets heavier. I sprinted my way between the trees, hoping I won't bump against any infected along the way. The weather is also getting worse, making it harder for my eyes to see.

Fortunately, it didn't take long until I caught a glimpse of the road. I'm getting tired, and my legs are shaking. But despite the freezing temperature, I moved forward.

Just as I was about to reach the road, an infected jumped at me from my right.

"Stupid corpse!" I shouted as I fought back.

I launched a kick at its body, and it immediately dropped onto the muddy soil.

I don't have time to deal with this freak.

Annoyed, I hustled and continued running until I found myself at the entrance of the town.

As soon as I saw the convenience store, I didn't waste any time and ran toward it.

"Miya?" I called while pushing the glass doors. Unfortunately, there's a chain lock wrapped around the handles.

This wasn't here before...

Out of nowhere, I heard a faint growl just behind me. I slowly turned around — only to find the infected that had attacked me earlier.

I can't believe it chased me all the way here.

I grabbed my knife with my shaking hands due to the cold and stared at the target.

Fuck it, who needs tactics?

I charged straight at its body, pushed it down to the ground, and then plunged my knife into its head multiple times.

"I'm getting sick... and tired of this," I grumbled as I walked back to the store.

"Miya! Steve! Anyone there?" I called again, but no one answered.

I don't have any other choice but to find another place to dry myself. Somewhere with both roof and doors to keep myself secured for the night.

I looked around the area despite the low visibility and saw a few houses nearby.

With my trembling legs, I crossed the streets and jogged toward one of the houses.

As expected, the door was locked. I checked the windows, and there's no steel railings or anything protecting it.

Screw this...

Desperate, I grabbed a stone nearby, used it to smash one of the windows multiple times, and entered the house.

It's dark, so I turned my flashlight on to look around.