~1~

"Hamish, please stop." John sighed as he hauled the toddler onto his hip from the floor and held him tight. He wasn't letting him wriggle from his grip again. "You need to calm down."

Between long hospital shifts and single handedly raising a child, John had no time to rest. He was exhausted and had been for months but he wouldn't send Hamish to daycare for a single minute longer than necessary. He already knew that his long hours wouldn't be good for bonding between the two of them.

"How long was nap time today?" John mumbled beneath his breath as he limped along the pavement in the direction of home. Taxis were expensive and the six days a week childcare sucked every last penny from the poor doctor.

Hamish bounced up and down, using John's thigh as leverage. The doctor winced but couldn't find the energy to scold the boy. He just tightened his grip on the toddlers waist and increased his speed.

"Papa!" Hamish squealed into John's ear, "Ice creams!" His chubby hand stretched out towards an ice cream truck pulled up on the opposite side of the traffic.

Feeling guilty, John pulled out his wallet and counted the few pounds sitting there.

"Okay, baby." The doctor brushed the boy's hair from his face before carefully crossing the road to reach the truck.

He picked out a simple Mr Whippy and paid the man. John held onto the bottom as Hamish began to lick the creamy vanilla, getting stickiness over his cheeks. His little hands held tightly to the cone but John didn't trust his grip. He couldn't risk his son dropping it then crying for another.

"Heading home now." He placed a gentle kiss to the boy's forehead before walking again.

---

John leant against the bath with one hand dangling in the cooling water. Despite his exhaustion, he knew better than to leave a small child unattended in the water. Hamish splashed playfully with the toys.

The doctor rested his head against the lip of the tub but didn't allow for his eyes to slide closed. He watched his son playing happily.

Unlike many children, Hamish always adored bath time and it was a great routine before bed for the little one. The blond hair had darkened as water was soaked up. Strands stuck to the forehead of the toddler. John was sure his hair looked similar due to the water his son was throwing around but he let the boy just enjoy his bath. The bright smile keeping positivity alive within the man.

"Okay, buddy. You ready to dry off?"

Hamish pouted but eventually nodded when John brought over his favourite fluffy towel and held it out to tempt him.

Standing up,"Papa! Up, up! Please!" He cried, laughing.

John chuckled as he wrapped the towel around the small body, careful not to get the bottom in the water, and lifted the boy into the air. Hamish spread his arms as though he were flying. Whilst in the air, John began to rub the towel against the skin to speed up the drying process.

"Papa! Me flying! Watch Papa! Watch me flying!" He laughed and wriggled as the towel tickled him.

"You're so high!" The doctor pretended to be in awe, "Like an astronaut, Ishy!" He cooed out the pet name.

John slowly brought his son down until his small soles touched the cheap vinyl flooring. The boy clapped, thrilled. John just hoped that he never grew out of his child-like excitement. Although, the daily act of lifting up the growing child wasn't doing good on his damaged shoulder.

Dumping the towel, Hamish ran off though the apartment completely naked. At least they never had guests over these days.