~18~

John was chopping up apples when he finally heard movement from the other room. The familiar creak of the sofa indicated that one, or both, of the boys were moving around. He didn't stop cutting the apples into segments though.

A few seconds later, he was done but there was no sign of either male so he carried the plate of apple sections through to the living room where they were both still asleep. Sherlock had shifted though so he was lying more horizontal which explained the noises.

John smirked, "Snack time, boys!"

He sat on the edge of the sofa and held the plate out as they both jumped. Sherlock blinked rapidly and Hamish rubbed at his sleepy eyes. They were not prepared to be ripped from their slumber.

John smiled at them both. They caused a warmth to develop in his chest. They really were the cutest things.

"Apple anyone?" He asked with a grin as he plucked himself a piece and bit into it.

"You're back already?" Sherlock leant his head.

"Yes, it's gone 4!"

Sherlock blinked, "Hamish has had me so busy that I actually completely lost track of time." He admitted, running his hands through his dark curls.

"Did he wear you out or did you wear him out?" The ex-soldier chuckled, nodding at where they'd napped on the couch. His grey eyes glittered with good humour.

Sherlock laughed and ruffled Hamish's blond hair, "I think I'm exhausted and he is merely tired. I've never looked after a child before and I wasn't expecting it to be quite this chaotic."

Hamish's small hand reached out and grabbed a large piece of apple. He smacked his lips together in anticipation before taking a large bite of his fruit.

"With parenting it all becomes about learning to channel the chaotic and appreciate any glimpse of peace you can manage. Trust me when I say that nap time is a saviour." He explained to Sherlock while watching his child.

The doctor tried to flatten down a few pieces of Hamish's hair which were sticking up from his nap. The strands remained resiliently upwards, defying gravity. He gave up after his attempts failed. Sherlock watched their gentle interaction.

"Thank you though." John murmured, his eyes met Sherlock's, "Nobody really understands how guilty I feel about having to leave Hamish in daycare most days. The fact he got to stay out and actually spend the day with someone was a real help." After a moment he added, "I can tell he really had fun too." He smiled tenderly at the detective.

"I had fun too... Maybe we can do this again sometime?" He bucked up the courage to ask. He hoped to ingrain himself in what John had built, if the man would allow.

John peaked up at him, his lips curled upwards, "I think I would like that. I think Ishy would like it too."

The doctor felt butterflies in his stomach for the first time in a very long time. He was scared of what this may progress into but he was also excited for it. He liked Sherlock and hoped this could grow without it ending up in disaster.

Sherlock smiled and his fingers fiddled with the button on his shirt.

The peace was destroyed by Hamish squealing, "Papa! Sherly! Let's play!" The boy rocketed off the sofa and towards his bedroom.

John knew exactly where his son was going. He was undoubtedly hauling his toy animals out of his toy trunk and dumping them on the floor.

---
Two hours later

"Mr Moo is sick! We have to call a vet!" Sherlock grumbled in a funny voice. In his hand he was holding a lion and pretended to make it run across the carpet to Hamish's character.

"Don't be scared!" Hamish got his snake toy to slither across the carpet to where a cow was lying on its side after it fell over. "I will call a doctor!"

John knew when his character was needed, "I'm a doctor! I can help!" The dog in his hand ran across to help. He made it look like the dog was checking the patient over, "Mr Moo has collapsed because he hasn't been eating his vegetables!"

Sherlock chuckled.

The three men were lying on their stomachs with a scene in front of them. They manoeuvred the characters into a game and played together. Sherlock thought he'd get bored but he surprised himself when he began to get invested into their pretend narrative.