Spotlight || Chapter 1

1983

Angela "Angie" Powell

Keep giving me.

Just what I need.

Love is the key.

For you and me.

Open the door.

Give me some more.

You're love is what I'm waiting for ...

Part of "Keep Giving Me Love" by D-Train blasted throughout another studio. I was asked to play a synthesizer solo. Scheduling wouldn't allow me to meet group members, but I didn't care. My heart just wanted to jam, even if I worked alone.

Just moments later, someone then knocked on the open recording door and cleared their throat right behind me. It wasn't long before I cut off this music, smiling with joy to greet that person. I hadn't seen him in quite a while, but remained grateful.

Leaning, Prince viewed me from the doorway.

"Still in the cave?" Prince chuckled lowly and pushed himself away from the door, pleasing my ears with a baritone voice that suited him

"Still in the cave?" Prince chuckled lowly and pushed himself away from the door, pleasing my ears with a baritone voice that suited him. I smirked in response, but wouldn't stand to leave this mixing board. Like many others, He knew my routine.

"I never left. What are you doing here?" I turned away from him, still fiddling with the board in one way or another. I should've just kicked him out jokingly and kept working, but something about this moment shaping between us felt rare tonight.

"Heard the music in here and wanted to see who showed up. It's really good to see you." Prince continued answering. His heels stopped clicking as he walked onto this carpeted floor. I rolled my eyes once, amused before he sat down alongside me.

"You too. Congratulations on the tour." I said, hoping that Prince wouldn't leave us both with awkward silence or something. He'd been notorious with shyness during many interviews with the press. I'd keep quiet about American Bandstand, too.

"Thank you. Now, enough about me. What about you? What's going on around here?" Prince jokingly changed the infliction of his voice with an intention of making me laugh. I smirked, then watching him reach for that mixing board in total silence.

"Isn't it obvious." I chuckled right back, reaching out to nudge him gently. His rare yet wonderful smile showed up. Not that I had butterflies this time around, but even Prince started to blush. I then remembered when we met for the first time.

We first met during Rick James's "Fire It Up" tour and I planned to work on my debut album back then. Yet, I still lobbied my demo tape all over the place. Various big-time record labels rejected me, but I still pushed for exposure. No other choice.

It was one of the few times when I genuinely became starstruck by anyone. Not because of Rick, but Prince. By the time His Royal Badness walked offstage in that black leotard, a bodyguard then escorted me backstage. The crowd still roared.

According to that bodyguard, we met just so that Prince and I could stop "making Rick jealous." We apparently watched each other back and forth all night and between intermissions, Rick would then start complaining to his own team.

One concert photographer snapped a picture. I'd worn this tacky leopard print romper with open-toed heels. I thought the entire get-up was cute back then. Even my dark make-up and feathered hair failed, but Prince flirted with me later anyhow.

To this day, I actually couldn't figure out if Rick couldn't stand me or not. It was honestly anyone's guess. Yet, I knew so better than to just dwell about the past and soon moved on with my life. In short, Prince and I were still friends now.

"I know. I'd just feel better if you weren't working right now, and that's a lot coming from me." Prince stopped messing with the mixing board and folded both arms while facing me, scooting a little bit to somehow close space between us.

"What do you want?" I asked, slowly becoming annoyed by the fact that Prince left me in suspense this evening. I could only imagine what he had planned, but kept my mouth shut until he could finally answer my question with certainty this time.

"I want you to hear a new song. I recorded something in this room not that long ago, actually. Hold on." Prince stood up from that chair and walked towards one of the hidden wall compartments. I still didn't know what to think until he tossed this tape to me. Silence fell between us again before music started to play out loud.

This gorgeous ballad with slow drum machines and light yet haunting rhythms filled my ears. I closed my eyes, feeling the music as Prince and I sat in this room together, alone at the same time. I nodded along instinctively, listening to lyrics.

Baby, baby, baby.

What's it gonna be?

Baby, baby, baby.

Is it him or is it me?

Don't make me waste my time.

Don't make me lose my mind, baby.

Baby, baby, baby.

Can't you stay with me tonight?

Oh, baby, baby, baby.

Don't my kisses please you right?

You were so hard to find.

The beautiful ones.

They hurt you every time....

Paint a perfect picture.

Bring to life a vision in one's mind.

The beautiful ones always smash the picture.

Always, every time...

Once an incredible breakdown reached my heart, his vocals screamed from the speakers and everything made sense to me. Prince didn't just come around here to catch up as friends and let me hear some brand new music. We glanced towards each other with another round of total silence. I found myself tearing up then.

This entire record stood out as an ode to me....