Spotlight || Chapter 9

1990

Prince

"Close your eyes." I wanted to surprise Angela for her birthday. She, Michael, and I were even born during the same year. Angela hadn't celebrated anything on large scales since her mother passed away. While strong, my best friend still grieved.

"Now what?" Angela questioned me and reached out to squeeze my hand, but grinned towards me with the prettiest set of teeth. I wouldn't be surprised if her own joy here could illuminate every light fixture located inside First Avenue.

"We're finally here, but please don't open your eyes until I say so." The driver had parked and soon escorted us out of my limousine. Another rare smile of my own quickly etched its path for my face. Angela kept her own eyes shut as expected.

"We're out in a parking lot. Just try to follow me and listen to my voice." Smiling again, I walked behind Angela in case she lost balance or bump into something as we moved together. Even as wind picked up around us tonight, her heels clicked.

"Should we walk forward?" Angela asked me. Moving straight ahead, we solely beelined towards the rear double-doors of this gorgeous building downtown. Yet, I wouldn't give the surprise away until she opened her brown eyes, of course.

"Yes. Keep walking straight. I'll tell you when to stop soon, okay?" I promised not to scare her, even though there was nothing to be afraid of, even around someone like me. I didn't always strive with women, but this longtime bond with Angel still made a difference to me. Even my team didn't truly understand. At least not yet.

"Okay. Where are we standing now?" Angela questioned just a few minutes later. I'd hustled around her in my favorite boots just to open these back doors. Angela didn't even try peeking, which had eased my own excitement. I could hear giggles.

"Now, be careful stepping here, but just don't open your eyes yet." I warned for the millionth time. Taking her hand, I guided her inside anyway. One of my bodyguards closed double doors located right behind us both. Even as Angela winced from light, I still reminded her to keep eyes shut. There was still no other choice right now.

"Open your eyes." I said. We were now inside of this rear hallway and fluorescent lighting had already blinded us. Angela narrowed her eyes towards me until we walked to another set of double doors. There was a massive soundstage inside.

"Oh my God! This place is absolutely beautiful. Where are we, Prince?" It was long before Angela faced me with that adorable smile once more. She had then reached out to hold hands again. I'd blushed around her for the first time in quite a while.

"Your concert venue. Happy birthday!" I gestured towards the stage by tilting my head. Angela even started to cry tears of joy. Crew members had already passed us by, but I still waited for someone to show up here, rolling in with buttercream cake.

"My what? What did you do?" Angel dropped her jaw and I rolled my eyes, laughing as slight panic seemed to run across her iconic face. We'd kept this bond for the past ten years and she still never failed to look so pretty in my eyes, even now.

"Not that long ago, I actually bought this place for you." I finally revealed my secret. Judging the shocked expression on her face, If Angela drank water at this point, she would've already had countless spit takes by now. I chuckled once again.

Just seconds later, she ran towards me in those heels and opened her arms for this long embrace between us. Sweet perfume wafted to my nostrils as she sobbed with joy this time. I held the back of her head, whispering that it all belonged to her.

"Thank you." she pulled away from me and kissed my cheek, but already turned around to face the soundstage. As some overhead spotlight painted us with vibrant colors, I hugged from behind for the very first time in this decade of our bond.

"Is this too much?" I addressed our elephant in the room. There was no other choice. If my body language overwhelmed women, I'd pulled back, knowing better than to force chemistry. Contrary to popular belief, I wasn't that kind of stupid man, no matter how many mistakes I'd actually made with others beforehand.

"No. It's about time." Angela turned to face me all without even breaking my hold around her slim waist. I didn't even know if she actually wanted to match my own wardrobe on purpose, but we both rocked the same exact colors tonight.

"Okay." I laughed lowly, trying not to act like some kid with a school crush. Angel chose this nearly iconic jumpsuit. While sleeveless, the outfit kept her top white and the pants shaded black. I even recognized the look from her recent album cover.

She even straightened that famously curled hair by now. Those same tresses clipped back with this butterfly snapper. Dark lipstick and matching eye shadow for her face had almost left me speechless, but I still kept myself together right now.

Happy birthday to you.

Happy birthday, dear Angie.

Happy birthday to you!

Daydreaming about Angel broke off for me seconds later. Jill had soon rolled in the gourmet birthday cake and sang out loud with me. Angela moved away from me to cry with happiness again. I just kicked back to let her enjoy this wonderful moment.

"Stop spoiling me, ya'll!" Angel then locked eyes with me as if I were the only person here. I winked and watched her blow out those number thirty-two candles. There was no better feeling in the world as she glanced with another pretty smile.

For the first time in years, I really did love someone.