Spotlight || Chapter 10

1991

Michael Jackson

Looking back now, I soon realized that Angela might've been the one who got away. Contrary to popular belief, I hadn't fallen in love yet, but there was still some odd inkling that we should've been together. I had still believed in fate back then.

All the same, I still knew so much better than to scare her off with my own feelings throughout the years. To be honest, we actually didn't spend a lot of time in the same room. Yet, I would always feel comfortable having someone like her around.

By the time we crossed paths again, I'd already released the "Dangerous" album and blueprinted my upcoming tour. Both of our own management teams set up meetings with concert promoters, but Ang and I had refused working together.

On the other hand, my good friend already couldn't believe that I actually started touring again. As everyone knew, "Bad" was supposed to be my last go-round for stage performances. Yet, that idea could be another story for me to explain later.

Anywho, it wasn't that Ang and I couldn't stand each other as musicians. I'd always appreciated her talent and vice versa. Yet, During our meetings for the tour, I said that our creative brains would've clashed too much, which had been entirely true.

We were also far too much alike regarding work ethic. I soon remembered that Angela soon kicked up her own notches quite a bit since she had already collaborated with folks like Prince in the past. Unlike many others I'd met before in show business, she wasn't ever afraid of the stage, even all the way back then.

Our last hammer finally came down when I told Angie that Greg Phillganes would officially list as my musical director. I'd kick off these brand-new shows next year. Angela wasn't fuming, but I still could tell that there was slight pain in her voice.

"What's the move?" Planning to leave the conference room with her team, Ang stood up from her chair in here and folded both arms. I could already tell that her brown eyes still panged with sadness and completely understood the disappointed. She wasn't the type of person who cried often, but today hurt. Of course today hurt someone so passionate about music. This afternoon seemed to crumble around her.

We spent all these years knowing each other as good friends, but hadn't actually worked together. Only real people would admit their pain as without ever speaking out loud. It took everything in me not to hug this woman without permission.

Angela usually went for the embraces first every time that we visited each other backstage, but unless she said anything different to me, I knew that something else would happen between us. My heart thumped as she stood here, waiting for me.

"I'm just gonna go home. No hard feelings?" I cleared my throat, trying not to notice Angela again. She had worn the least amount of make-up, a contrast from interviews that I'd seen at that time. Her dark suit and straight hair turned heads.

"Of course not, Mike. Working together would've been great, though." As said, I didn't believe that we both shared love yet, but Elizabeth Taylor once told me that some connections between people mean a lot, whether or not I wanted to deal with romance. With my career, there was still no use in me trying. At least not yet.

"Maybe next time." I winked, trying to smile right now. We had known each other for quite a time and seeing her upset always dampened my own mood. I'd had very few friends, but she still meant the world, no matter how much time had passed.

"Of course. See you around." Angela now stood in the doorway. Voices of her management team still mingled out in the hallway. If only we hadn't conjured up this weird pattern of always leaving each other like this, but again, our careers wouldn't let up. We were both blessed and happy all at once, fame be damned.

I had already known about my life and this hectic career, but now, Ang still rolled through the industry without ever looking back. In this past year alone, my good friend had worked with other artists, surprised Prince on tour, performed with musical acts on the Arsenio Hall Show, and even contributed tunes for soundtracks.

Despite her success, none of those accomplishments seemed to cross my mind as she began to walk out of here. I should've walked out with her, kept our conversation, or at least stopped starting. Again, I should've known better then.

Instead, I watched in total silence my good friend then left me alone, just as she always did. To be honest, her own departure that afternoon would've meant so much more to me if I realized what would actually happen for us both in the future.

Those sweet memories.

Will always be dear to me.

And girl, no matter what was said.

I will never forget what we had...

("Remember The Time" by Michael Jackson, 1991)