Fields Soaked in Collapse

"Springfield?" NTW gave a call to no avail. Vector, and G36 looked at each other with a worried glance as Springfield seemed to ignore them. NZ75 gave a heavy sigh, and stood up. The others watched as she walked past the table, into the kitchen area, and right behind Springfield. From her view, NZ75 could see that Springfield wasn't washing the cup she was holding, but was rather just holding it under the faucet while the water washed over it, and her hands. NZ75 reached out her hand.

"Springfield-"

***

"-Are you okay!?" PPSh-41 was waving her hand in my face.

"Eh?" I shook the grogginess from my systems as I refocused. PPSh-41 was currently the only one in the café as she was about to be sent off on a mission, and wanted to grab something to eat beforehand. She gave me a worried look.

"Are...Are you getting enough sleep, Ms. Springfield?" Seeming to 'catch' herself as she still had her hand in my face she immediately started stammering, "N-N-N-Not that I think-...Uhm..." The genuine concern she showed, even if it was a little much, put a smile on my face.

"I'm perfectly fine, PPSh-41. Still just waking up my systems for the morning is all." This calmed her down a bit, but the poor thing was still fidgeting. "Here." I pulled out, and placed a neatly wrapped slice of cake down in front of her from behind the café's counter.

"I-...I can?"

"Of course," seeing her face light up was such a treat, "P38, and MP40 went into a baking frenzy yesterday after the Commander caved to buying them cake mixes, and...well..." I glanced under the counter that was completely filled with wrapped up cake slices ready to serve, and the two still fully intact cakes sitting at the end of the counter.

"T-Thanks, Ms. Springfield!" As PPSh-41 was about to pick up the cake, the door to the café burst open. It was time for her mission.

"Let's go!" AK-47 boomed, "Time to make some cash."

"Ah! C-Coming!" PPSh-41 hurriedly grabbed the cake, gave me a quick bow, and rushed after her squad leader. I chuckled as I watched them leave in such a fuss. It was enough to wake me up, at least, so I was thankful for echelon two's leader's bombastic nature. There was a part of me that missed the days I would go out on missions, or even just a logistics run, but those days were behind me. I was still a t-doll of Griffin, and my rifle was leaning against the back wall behind me while I worked, but I was such a natural fit to work the café thanks to my past profession before Griffin that I soon found myself taking over the place. At first, the Commander worried that I was being forced into the role by the others because of how good I was doing, but I reassured her that I was perfectly alright with it. Even if I wasn't on the frontlines, I was still serving Griffin by giving everyone a warm place to come home to. The Commander would still frequent the café to check up on me, but the subject was never brought up again after that conversation.

"Morning, Springfield." Like today. The Commander gave a long yawn as she entered the café, made her way to one of the booths, and plopped down in it. I could see the bags under her eyes.

"These all-nighters aren't good for you, Commander." I teased as I took a mug, and fresh coffee pot over to her table.

"Tell that to Devin," she half-heartedly retorted as I poured her a fresh cup. "I swear, that man may be a good logistic officer, but he's going to be the reason why I die in my forties." She took a deep breath after I pushed the full mug towards her as she savored the aroma. After taking the first sip she continued, "Ahhh~. And, you're the reason I'm going to actually live that long."

"I'm happy that I'm able to prolong your continued excellent performance, Commander." She playfully scoffed at that. As she was about to take another sip, however, her phone started vibrating. Her face became sullen when she saw the caller ID.