Chapter 1

Monday mornings were the worst thing to happen in the universe. Especially when you ate over a dozen chocolate chip cookies the night before and you feel like you're going to barf them all up again. Not only did I have a severe belly ache, but Mama also yelled at me when she saw there were only three cookies left. Blah.

Add to that, I was exhausted because a certain somebody played their loud music until three in the morning, so I was left lying in bed all night, fantasizing about how I could kill West and make it look like an accident.

"Eli! Get out of the bathroom!"

I scowled at Ayen's voice. Don't get me wrong, I love my sister. But I am not; repeat not, a morning person. Never have been, and never will be.

I opened the door. "Good morning, Mama's little accident. Why are you in such a rush?"

Ayen let out a groan. "Stop calling me that! And because I have to pee! What do you do in there for so long?"

"I'm getting beautiful," I answered.

She laughed. "You'll need a lot more time than you have if you're trying to get beautiful."

Before I could reach her neck to strangle her, she dove in the bathroom and locked the door. I pounded on it a couple of times and threatened that her entire diary was going to be plastered on The Academy walls if she didn't watch herself. She only giggled on the other side of the door.

I trotted down the steps, ready for school. My backpack hung on a small rack beside the door and I threw it over my shoulder.

"Bye, Ma!" I yelled. "See you later."

I didn't get a response, so I assumed she was already downstairs preparing for work. I stepped out the door and hopped down the steps. The sky was dark and grey, warning us that it was going to start raining soon.

I glanced to my right and saw West stepping out his door as well. We both attended the same school, as if I didn't get enough of him being my neighbour. He caught my eye and winked at me. I faked gag, making him grin a cocky grin.

I continued walking down my pathway and closed the gate that encircled my house behind me. West was doing the same, and since his house was on my right and the way to the bus stop was a right turn, I had to follow behind him.

I noticed what he was wearing: a pair of dark jeans that fitted him nicely, a plain white tee shirt and he had a black jacket over it. His black hair was shinning in the sun, causing it to look lighter than it really was, but in a pretty way. Kamatay ra!

I on the other hand was wearing a pair of light blue jeans, sneakers, and a white tank top with a blue jean jacket over top of it. My hair was loose and lay on my shoulders. I looked at how his blue jeans fit him again. Those were some nice jeans….particularly so on him.

"Stop checking out my ass, Eli," West called out without looking behind at me. My face heated up. I was not looking at his butt, I swear!

"Oh don't flatter yourself, Alfonso," I said in an even tone, disguising my embarrassment.

He chuckled. "It's okay. I know I have a great ass."

"Even if I could tell which end of you is your ass, I'm sure it's not great." With that, I brushed roughly past him, ramming my shoulder in his.

But suddenly my foot knocked into something unexpected, and I fell forward.

"Ay baki!"

West busted out in laughter behind me. That evil monkey…! He had tripped me!

I looked up, my knee throbbing way too much to attempt standing just yet, and saw that the bus was already at the stop and people were loading on. West was jogging towards it and I struggled to get up and limp towards it as fast as I could, but West just smirked at me before he boarded the bus. The doors shut and the bus roared forward.