chapter 16 - 21

Chapter 16

“Avan,” I whispered as I felt tears sting the corners of my eyes and I bent down to press my lips to the top of his head. “Oh, Avan, I was worried about you when Dad didn’t come back with you. You caused me a lot of trouble, you know, just looking for you.”

Avan made a small noise and started to shift right before my eyes.

“No,” I whispered but it was too late.

Shifting back to human form was dangerous if you were badly injured; it would leave you weak and tired. I hoped the bandages would hold because I didn’t think Katrina would want Wolf blood stains on her couch.

Soon, Avan lay panting and weak on the couch and I took off the blanket from on top the couch and draped it over him. Now it was clear to see all the wounds Katrina had missed on his muscular, tanned body.

He opened his enchanting mahogany eyes and looked into my eyes. I felt tears run down my cheek but I didn’t bother to wipe it away.

“Juliette,” he whispered, reaching out a weak hand and creased my cheek. “Juliette, don’t cry. Please don’t.”

“Oh Avan,” I said softly, taking his warm hand in mine and held it to my chest. “I’m so sorry. This is all my fault. If I hadn’t called for your help, you wouldn’t have gotten mad at Dominic and wouldn’t be lying here before me like this!”

“Stop blaming yourself, Juliette,” Avan said, hoarsely, a sound that broke my heart into pieces, he reached up to began to brush my tears away. “It’s not your fault. Things like this happen all the time to Wolves and you know that. Now, you need to smile. Smile because you’re happy. I hate seeing you sad.”

“I’m not happy, Avan,” I muttered, hanging my head and tear-drops fell on my lap, leaving wet spots on the dress. “How can I be happy when two of my favourite boys turned into Wolves, fought each other and got hurt? I’m not even sure if Dominic is okay. I wish I could go to him but I can’t leave you; not in this state. Tell me why I should smile, Avan?”

“Because I’m going to be fine,” Avan replied, lifting my chin so I could see into his eyes.

Those lovely, heart-melting eyes.

The eyes I wanted to look into forever.

The eyes I wanted to wake up to every morning for as long as I lived.

The mahogany eyes I wanted to say were mine.

“Avan,” I whispered, touching his cheek and he lifted his face and kissed my nose gently.

I could tell that it hurt; even that simple movement left him in pain.

“Oh, Avan,” I wanted to say to him. “Avan, I love you! I want you, I need you! Avan, kiss me and say you love me too!”

I banished the thought and tightened my hold on his hand as I felt it slipping from my grasp. A tremor ran through his body as he closed his eyes and took a sharp breath.

“Avan!” I cried as he clutched at the wound at his side and I felt more tears leak out of my eyes. “Katrina! Katrina, help!”

Katrina appeared out of nowhere into the living room, dressed in a torn, short jeans and a black top.

“Juliette,” she said and was at my side in a second.

Avan cried out and squeezed my hand tightly.

“Avan, what’s wrong?” I asked as he cried out again and I placed my free hand on his sweaty forehead. “Avan, tell me!”

“There’s poison in his blood,” Katrina said, undoing all his bandages and blood fell unto the couch. “Juliette, leave the room, now!”