C H A P T E R 2

FIRST SHIFTㅡ

Mom only talks to me if necessary and Dad he ignores me, acted as if I never existed. After I begged him he gave me permission to live in the house till I finished my O’levels.

The whole year was a torture. After my half-brother was born the family relatives also started giving me less importance. Mom started making me do all the household works and dad never made an attempt to stop her. I always knew mom wanted a son more than a daughter. But never thought she would treat me so bad. I guess I will be the second option from now on.

Also my 16th birthday is coming and I am curious to know what my mom had meant when she said I will get to know about everything when I turn 16.

The day of my birthday went on quite normal actually, except for the fact that I received only one gift this time. It was around the night time when my whole body started aching. I called for mom but she didn’t come. After sometimes I felt like as if all my bones were breaking. I tried a lot to not cry but after sometimes I let out a cry filled with hurt and fear.  

Thanks to god dad came to my room. I was beyond shocked to see him there, after all he has been whole ignoring me for all these days. He called for my mom. After sometimes she came into the room and said to dad “She is shifting,” she looked terrified. I was about to ask her what she meant when I felt fifteen borns breaking at the same time. I cried out loud.

It felt like forever had passed by when the pain stopped. After it stopped I felt weird and then I realized  that I was on four legs and I had become shorter.

Mom motioned me to go near the dresser. I saw myself from the mirrow. I was scared of myself.  I mean really? A wolf stood where I should have been. I had no idea what to do. It was a whole white color wolf. It’s eyes where mesmerizing. The color was a mixture of dark blue, dark purple and a light green. I was beyond shocked.

All negative thoughts were flowing in my mind. ‘Was I a monster?’ ‘Will I have to be in this form forever?’ ‘Will mom and dad kill me?’ ‘Where will I live from now on?’ And then I remembered mom telling me that day  my biological dad was a warewolf. So is this what she meant by warewolf?

I turned around and was about to question them, but then I remembered I’m a wolf and I can’t communicate humans. I was confused about what to do. Mom and dad seems to notice my confusion cause mom asked me if I wanted to change back to human.

 I nodded as soon as she asked. She told “Close your eyes and think about you been human.” I did a I was told. The next thing I know the pain I had felt before again came back. The difference was that the pain was now a hundred times worse. After sometimes I wasn’t able to keep my eyes open and black dots started occupying my vision.

I must have passed out due to the pain because when I woke up next I was lying on my bed. At first I thought maybe it was all a dream, the whole turning in to a warewolf thing. And I would have believed that if I wasn’t whole naked, like a new born baby and if my dad wasn’t sitting right next to my bed sleeping on one my chair. I mean he hasn’t been in my room  for so long. I guess I must have made some sound cause had woken up.

It was more than awkward and neither of us had anything to say. Thank god mom came in at the exact moment.

I was actually expecting for her to yell at me or something for disturbing them last night but, to my surprise they were concerned about me. She brought food to my room and fed me by her hand.

I’m not saying I didn’t like the attention I was getting, but, it felt quite weird after all those time they were ignoring me.

And I have a feeling that all this “being nice to the useless, unworthy girl” isn’t because they care about me. Maybe they are up to something. Now the question is what?