Chapter 1 || Kieran

Lex talionis- the principle or law of retaliation that a punishment inflicted should correspond in degree and kind to the offense of the wrongdoer, as an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth; retributive justice.

Darkness evaded the town of Beacon Hills the minute I passed the “Welcome To Beacon Hills” sign. I glanced up, watching the beams of light radiating from the moon as I felt it staring at me. Stars danced around it, gracing the sky with their presence. 

I turned my attention back to the task at hand, already feeling distracted. I couldn’t afford to be derailed from my mission. I felt my eyes shift in color as I regained control, going from their normal dull forest green to a brilliant lavender. With my enhanced sight, I scanned the area, looking for any signs of my target. My eyes settled in the direction of the high school, already regretting my decision to return to Beacon Hills.

I ran a hand through my dark, unruly hair as I sighed in discontent. I detested high school. Especially after what happened. I shook my head to clear my thoughts. No. No distractions. I scolded myself. Get in, get out. That's the plan. I had to keep reminding myself of the plan to keep focussed, otherwise I knew I was bound to get distracted, and distractions were something that I couldn't afford.

With inhumane speed, I made it to the high school in record time, stopping short as I took in the aura it gave off. It was lively, despite the late hour. I could hear screams of encouragement coming from close by. A clear sign something was going on tonight. What, exactly, I had no idea, but I knew that I had to press on. I just needed a new plan.

"Hey," an unexpected voice sounded from behind me, and I glanced over my shoulder to see an elderly man in a police uniform. The badge on his chest read "Sheriff". "Are you here for the game?"

"Pardon?" I asked, confusion lacing my tone. 

"The game? Lacrosse?" The sheriff continued to question me, looking at me as if he were concerned for my sanity. I mentally scoffed at the thought. If you only knew.

At least I knew what the screams were all about now. I suddenly did a double take at the man, reading his badge once again. Sheriff… Sheriff… Surely this man wasn't Sheriff Stilinski? If it were, I might have a problem.

I knew from my sire, Blayze, that Sheriff Stilinski had ties with the McCall pack, a pack that I would rather not have a complication with. They might… complicate... my mission. That is to say, they'll try to stop me. Scott McCall, according to Blayze, was the alpha of the pack that claimed this town as their own. Stepping into the lion's den, or more accurately, the wolf's den, was a risky move. But it was a risk I had to make, for my brother. He had to get the justice he deserved, and I was the only one who could give him that.

I told Blayze that I could handle a few mutts, but the truth was, the stories of Scott McCall left me wary. I only knew what kind of alpha he was through stories, and they painted a pretty clear picture. He was someone I didn't think I wanted to tangle with.

He was a true alpha- an alpha that rose to his rank by the power of sheer will, as opposed to killing another alpha for their power, as the norm was. It was a feat that was unheard of in this century, and I heard that it only amplified his strength. 

Like I said. I would rather not have a run-in with him if I could avoid it, which was why I was hoping to get my mission done discreetly and head home before he caught wind that a vampire was in his midst.

"You okay, buddy?" The sheriff's question snapped me out of my thoughts and back to the present.

I nodded, glancing back at the school. If Scott McCall was present, which I knew was a bit more than a possibility, then I needed a plan C. Hell, I might need the whole damn alphabet.