Chapter 42

Chapter 42

Elena lies down next to Merlin that night, so when she hears him talking with Lancelot, she leans over him to join the conversation, propping her head up on her elbow to see over Merlin's head.

"Aren't you forgetting something?" Merlin asks. "I have magic."

"And me," Elena smirks, planting a kiss on the warlock's cheek. "Never forget about me." Merlin laughs quietly.

"Never could if I tried," he responds but Lancelot does join in on their humour.

"Neither of you are immortal though," he counters, sobering the atmosphere.

"No," Merlin agrees.

"You know, Merlin, you're the one Arthur should knight. You're the bravest of us all and he doesn't even know it."

Merlin appreciates the compliment and Elena nods, humming in agreement. "Sir Merlin," she says. "I like the sound of that."

But Merlin and Elena both know that Arthur finding out now could ruin everything they've built up over the years. "He can't. Not yet. That's why I need to find a way to get to the Cup without Arthur knowing."

"Leave that to me," he replies cryptically. Merlin eyes him, but ultimately, he trusts his newly knighted friend. Lancelot turns on his back, closing his eyes so Merlin turns around to face Elena.

"How can I help?" she asks quietly, leaning her head back down on the ground.

"I need you to stay with Arthur," he says. "That way if anything goes wrong on either side..." Elena nods at the insinuation. There is no debate to whether she would be going tomorrow, whether the others like it or not. Wherever Arthur goes, she'll go.

"You better stay safe," she warns him. "Remember – if you die, I die." She means it teasingly, but Merlin's frown deepens. Elena notices and reaches out to rub his arm. "It is worth it."

Xx

"There is a tunnel under the northern ramparts that brings us only a few paces from the entrance to the dungeons. It will be well guarded," he emphasises. "So, if we're going to break everyone out, we must remain unobserved. We cannot let them raise the alarm."

"We need to take out the warning bell," Lancelot says. "That way the warriors have no means of communication."

"Good idea."

"I'll need someone with me who knows the castle," he says, giving Merlin a pointed look. The warlock picks up the hint, volunteering immediately.

"I'll go."

"Alright," Arthur agrees.

Although she hasn't voiced it yet, Elena wiggles herself into the plan, joining the knights and Arthur in freeing both the other knights still in Camelot and Uther. The men start preparing themselves, putting on their armour. Elena, already set with her sword at her waist has nothing else to do as she doesn't have any armour so instead, she helps Leon put his on.

"I think I already know the answer," he says slowly as she tightens the strap going around his chest. "But what are you going to be doing?"

Elena tugs on his chainmail, pulling it taught so there are no kinks that she may accidentally lock in. "I'll be right next to you fighting," she answers. There isn't any point in lying since she will quite literally, be by their side. There will be no sneaking out to join them. Leon sighs, not liking the answer but he knows better than to fight it.

"Ellie!" Her head falls over her shoulder, hearing Gwaine's nickname for her being called out. Gwaine is holding up a short piece of chainmail, sizing it against himself. Timely finishing Leon's armour, she sends him a smile before walking over to Gwaine. The knight holds the chainmail up to her, smirking as he eyes to fit. "You should get into this." If one person will assume she is coming, it is Gwaine.