26 - "I Love You, Juliette."

Jax could not think straight after he boarded the helicopter and flew away from the scene with Vince. Everything already wasn't going to plan upon his return, but seeing his daughter in the condition that she was in after 10 long years was the last thing he was looking forward to. He was already surprised at how much she grew and how different she looked, her long blonde hair cut down and dyed dark, her facial features looking softer than when she was younger, and her height gain.

Her face was severely cut and bloodied, and signs of life were very slim. When the semi-truck she was driving flipped over, it had caused her to be thrown to the right side of the vehicle at breakneck speed, causing a traumatic blow straight to her head. Her breathing was very shallow, and she was otherwise unresponsive. Vince hated seeing Jax act sad and terrified since he knew that he was a strong person, although he fully understood why he felt the way he was. The one question on Jax's mind more than anything else was: Why did Juliette risk her life to stop Jeffrey's army? He was very grateful but had no idea why she did it or what her motive was.

Jax stared at his daughter, safely laid out on a bed at Vince's apartment, lying still. Vince sat down next to him. "I guess now that we're here, we can talk a little bit," he said.

Jax's eyes did not move. "Talk about what?" he asked softly.

"I just thought I'd let you know how strong and brave your daughter was." Vince cleared his throat. "I get that what she was doing were things that are easily looked down upon, but she showed great love and care to us. When the other girl came along, Kassandra... Juliette showed a connection stronger than anything that I've seen. She was devastated when Kassandra had to leave. It felt too sudden, and we didn't know why. I was there to comfort her at that time. I made sure she knew that great connections don't always last as long as they might seem, and she was blessed to be trusted while being able to return the same amount of love and trust, if not more, back to her. I'm really proud of how she was able to learn and progress through all the tension."

Jax smiled a little. "Yeah." He retained the same soft tone. "She's always been powerful. Even when she was just a little girl. She showed no fear in anything and was always willing to take a task head-on. I..." he paused. "I just wish she hadn't followed in my footsteps. That was the only thing I feared about her."

"Again, it isn't her fault, man. She was little, and she grew on us. She grew on Jeffrey, not knowing what she was doing was wrong. She didn't have the chance to grow up as a normal girl. Jeff was slick, but in the end, she was able to help us take him down."

"You're right," Jax sighed. "I get it."

"Well," Vince continued, "You're welcome to stay here for as long as you need to. I hope she's okay."

Jax nodded slightly.

"I believe she's okay. She's a strong kid," Vince said with a smile, walking to his bedroom. "Night, man."

"Good night," Jax replied. He heard Vince closed his bedroom door. Tapping his foot, he started slowly and quietly humming.

"I want you to come home.

Now you're full-grown...

Just stay here. Have no fear.

Words go around and around my head,

Filled with things that you've said.

God, you know I feel so low.

Because I'm the one who loves you so.

I don't want you to go.

I've loved for you and watched you grow.

I want you to come home.

Now you're full-grown..."

"Geez, what am I even saying...?" Jax sighed and placed his palm in his forehead. He tried to remember when he sang a song for Jyn back on Irisolara, but the fear and pain he was feeling now was a lot different than the emotions he had there. He gave up on singing and moved closer to Juliette and held her hand.

"If you can hear me..." he mumbled. "Just know that I'm alright. I'm alive and well, and I hope you are too... well, I know you are." Jax sighed but did not let go of her hand. "You can't hear me, anyway. I'm sorry."

Slowly letting go, he sighed but focused his hearing on a voice that caught his attention. "I can hear you, Dad," Juliette said softly with a very raspy and weary voice.

"Juli..." Jax smiled as a tear ran down his cheek.

Juliette slowly turned toward Jax. She looked very hurt. "How did you know to come to find me?"

"It was the first thing on my mind when I came back."

Juliette smiled, but it quickly faded. "I did a bad thing... Numerous bad things."

"Juli, it's--"

"I know you didn't want me to. I still did it, and I wronged you. I remember how scared I was of you being taken away from me because of what you did... and I still fell into that path. I'm sorry."

"Juliette, I understand what you feel right now. You dug yourself a hole that you couldn't get out of. I was in the same situation... Look at the bright side. We both got out of that hole."

Juliette smiled and coughed. "My head hurts, Dad..."

Jax wiped his tears. "You're gonna be okay. Get some rest, sweetie."

He watched as his daughter slowed her breathing and closed her eyes. For a moment, Jax thought that she had passed away. As soon as the emotions hit him, he felt Juliette slowly move her hand on top of his, signaling that she would be okay. He exhaled, feeling secure knowing that he was able to ensure his daughter's safety after an entire decade of leaving her alone.

"I love you, Juliette."