1. The Ceremony

This is Osdanio my country. Unlike most other countries, here we are not United. Well, not entirely.

Some fifteen hundred years back, rules were written down somewhere here in Osdanio. There is a book of rules called the 'Osderg'. Ever since, Osdanio has prospered by following the rules and guidelines mentioned in The Osderg. We had two rulers- Norah Fire and Timothy Peace. They wanted us fitting exactly where we belong, with people like ourselves. We were technically allowed to stay with our own Blood families till 'The Ceremony '.

The Ceremony is held once in three years and it is responsible for deciding the future of young girls and boys. Everyone who was above fifteen and under eighteen had to attend it. It was only common, the hearts of young children which were once filled with happiness and joy of being with their parents and siblings, to be replaced with fear and uncertainty of the events yet to unfold. Norah and Tim had built an extremely advanced metal box which would recognize the talents and capabilities of anyone who would place their palm on it.

They had divided our world into two parts- The Fire and The Peace, named after themselves. In The Ceremony, the metal box was polished and cleaned and brought out for show and to decide the fate of youngsters like myself. The Fire were fierce and bold. Their courage was their ultimate pride. Whereas The Peace were exactly the opposite. They were Pacific and easy to forgive. They were thoughtful and there was more kindness in their little finger, than most people had in their entire body.

These were also called 'Families'. But not your Blood families of course. Whichever Family the box picks, you belong there. The box is rarely ever wrong. Rarely . But who said never? Well, at least till now it had never proven to be wrong. Not that I knew of anyway. If you are given the same Family by the box in which you were born, the privilege is your Blood family. You don't have to leave your own Blood family to settle in where you would belong in the future.

According to our leaders, The Family system is vital for the balance of human nature. Thus, The Fire and The Peace usually never communicate. Actually, the only time when they are seated together peacefully is at The Ceremony. Once in three years.

The very thought of having to attend The Ceremony once I was seventeen haunted me. The last Ceremony was held when I was fourteen, and thus I was spared of having to participate. But I knew very well that when I turned seventeen, The Ceremny would await me and there would be nowhere to run to then.

I was born in a Fire household to my parents Ella and George Fire. They had named me Emily because I was shy, gifted and incredibly beautiful. They felt I was the perfect child. As I grew, I became prettier each day. My parents were proud of my looks. Not because I was brave - I never was. I would have thanked my beauty to have masked my timid and weak self for so many years. Even though I was a Fire, I never stood up to anyone's expectations. It was only my beauty that anybody cared about. I was not fit to be a Fire. I had never chosen that life, I was born with it!

I was afraid of the metal box's decision. I was afraid of being given Fire again. I would still have my wonderful parents who loved me even after me not being able to perform well in any Fire challenge. But what about my shot at life? I would be confined to a style of living which did not suit me at all. I was made for Peace. I just knew it. The metal box was never wrong....but my conscience had never quite trusted it too much.

~~~¤~~~