And Into the Light

(Melinda ' s POV)

I had a hard time letting Phil leave. I'm just not sure he'll be alright.

Vanessa said that Fitz and Simmons were there. And then she said that, that probably wouldn't be helpful. I then told her that Simmons had shot agent Zitwell. Vanessa was clearly shocked.

"You ready, " Ward asked, sitting down in the cockpit next to me.

I silently nodded.

"Excited?"

I glared at him.

"That's a yes, "

I shook my head and smirked.

"What's the game plan? "

"I don't have one, "

He looked at me, "You're the one in charge and you don't have a plan! "

"I don't, but Vanessa has one, "

He laughed, "You actually think she knows what she's doing? "

"No, I don't. But, I figured that we'd modify it, " I guided the plane, that the Sandbox had let us borrow, out of an underground hangar.

"See you in a bit, " Grant got up and left the cockpit.

(2 weeks later)

I sprinted down the hallway, with Vanessa by my side and Skye and Ward behind us. We were heading towards a bunker. Hydra had come out of the shadows today. We had just won three of the challenges in a row. We weren't happy to for fit.

I heard explosions and gunshots above me.

"May, I swear if you go out there and get hurt, " Vanessa started, "What's wrong? "

"How can you read her? " Skye asked. I wanted to know the same thing.

We ignored Skye ' s question. "If Phil gets hurt, " I shook my head, I can't show emotion.

"Ward? " I heard agent Garret ' s voice.  He left yesterday.

"Yea, " He answered.

I heard a bang and the door fell in, followed by smoke. All four of us raised our guns, until Garret walked through the cloud. We ran through the halls with him and boarded his plane.

Garret headed to the cockpit and started to fly to the hub. Triplett was there. And Garret didn't want to leave him behind. I was in the cargo area with Skye and Vanessa, when beeping started in the cockpit.

"Great! " Garret and Ward said, simultaneously.

"I'm calling Coulson, " I turned and typed the Bus ' s combo into the SAT box.

"What's going on? " Skye was confused.

"Two S.H.I.E.L.D drones trying to attack us, " Vanessa replied, calmly.

"Phil? " Garret called. "Phil! "

"Garret is that you? "

"I've got two drones on my tail, "

After a few seconds of conversing, Garret decided to 'play dead'. We were all strapped in the cargo hold. My stomach dropped as Garret turned the plane perpendicular to the ground. Skye yelped and Vanessa dug her fingers into her palms.

We docked on the bus. Phil went to the command center with Garret, Skye, and Ward. Vanessa and I went to the cockpit. I opened the door to the secret compartment that the phone was kept in.

"Calling, Fury? " Vanessa asked.

I nodded and swiped my thumb on the scanner.