Back to Being Me

POV: Catie

It's been a month since the incident, and I feel perfectly fine and perfectly well, but people still won't let me do what I want.

"Catie, for the last time. You can't play softball for another three weeks. Yes, I know it's eating at you, but you can't. Your lung got punctured. You are still on the team, and post season isn't until the next semester. You are fine." Kate groaned as she tried to get me to get back in bed. "Doctor said no heavy breathing. Lie down."

"I feel fine though. I just want to walk around." I pouted and sat on the edge of the bed.

"Catie, you're not even allowed to walk up and down the steps on your own. We have class in the morning, and I can't afford to miss another for a hospital visit. You are damn lucky our professors let us continue through online while you were down and were so patient, because if they weren't you'd be failing everything and would've already failed the class from the amount of missed days. Be grateful and lay down so we can go to class tomorrow." Kate snapped at me.

"Damn, okay then." I mumbled and slowly got back in bed. "I just wanted to walk around."

"You can't. Stop whining. I'm going to bring our dinners up here. After we eat you're taking your medicine and then we're going to sleep." Kate was giving orders left and right.

"You're scaring me a little bit." I cowered when she gave me a look.

"Good. Maybe it will get you to behave." She gave me a tight smile before leaving to go get food.

Jesus Christ this woman can be terrifying.

"Catie, you are not about to fall asleep in class." Kate whispered and flicked my ear and my eyes shot back open.

"First off, ow. Second off, my meds make me exhausted." I rubbed my ear.

"You can sleep in twenty minutes when class gets out. We'll go to the car until we have our next class." Kate rubbed my back, but stopped when she saw that it was putting me to sleep. "Bare with me for just a little bit longer."

"Okay," I mumbled and tried to focus on what the professor was talking about. I think I wrote down what they said, but I might have also just scribbled random lines down.

"Thank you," she whispered and held my hand after she took my pencil from me. Apparently I wasn't writing words down, or important ones at least.

"So sleepy." I mumbled as I was falling asleep sotting up with her hand in mine.

"Stay. Awake." She snapped at me a little too loud, but the professor didn't think anything of it.

I let out a quiet sigh. I didn't want to be rude. When my eyes started to close again, I felt a kick to my shin. "Shit." I hissed.

"Last warning." Kate muttered.

"Or what?" I was curious, but they always say curiosity kills the cat.

"You don't even want to know." She smirked to herself. Not just any smirk. The smirk.

"Damn, okay then." My eyes went wide. Not what I thought she was going to say.

I then did my best to stay awake, because whatever she had in mind I was not about to test.

"Thank you for staying awake. We'll go to the car now and I'll copy my notes to yours. It'll help me study them so I don't mind." Kate took my hand when we got out the door and grabbed the keys from her pocket.

I hummed in appreciation as I mindlessly followed her with my eyes closed most of the way to the car. Almost ate shit on one of the drops from the sidewalk, but I'm fine according to Kate.