Day 3:

I woke up earlier than the rest of the family. I had a goal today, to go the globe theatre. I was up and dressed; I’d figured out how to tie a corset on my own and I tied my hair up.

The air outside was chilly so I brought a large ash blue piece of canvas that I cut to be a shawl. It looked nice and I needed to look moderately presentable.

I made my way only stopping once to ask where the prestigious Globe Theatre was. It was a five minute walk from the bakery and was large.

I knocked on the large wooden door. The only way to get in was I needed to sell myself. I brought my shawl down to leave some of my shoulder exposed. My skin was pink and becoming numb from the cold. A man with dark brown hair opened the door.

“Yes, ma’am?”

“I need to speak to someone, urgently.” I grazed my shoulder and looked into his eyes with a pout portrayed on my lips.

“Would that lucky person be me?” A small smirk grew on his thin lips. His teeth came through his smile and it almost caused me to gag. One thing I forgot was the lack of dental care in these ages. His teeth were rotten.

“If you play your cards right then, most certainly.” I placed my hands on his shoulders and moved my body closer to his. I smiled but being careful to not show my teeth. If he saw, my whole plan would be thrown to hell.

“The names Ben Johnson, missus. And yours?”

I couldn’t give him my real name. “Jessica.” I’d always loved that name. It was elegant and feminine unlike Mikaela.

“Odd name but I like it, Jessica.” He said the name with an odd allure; it couldn’t sound sexy as hard as he would try due to the large factor of his immense drunk manner.

“Are you going to let me in or not?”

He flung open the large door and gestured me in. He yelled to the many men around that I was with him and not to bug me.

“Oh Ben, would you be able to show me to William Shakespeare’s quarters? I would really love to meet the master himself.” I widened my eyes and gave myself a slight pout.

“You get five minutes to meet him then you’re all mine.”

I wandered up the large stage and my body told me to inspect everywhere to my left. I pushed aside the filthy blue curtain to see two or three stairs that led down. I followed those then turned right I walked down a hall until I heard a man talking to himself, silently. I walked to the door and peeked in.

“I see you, miss. Who are you and what do you want?” spoke the man. He looked just as he did in the many paintings Ms. Thomas showed us in English class. He was a white man with dark brown hair. Ms. Thomas always said that if he was a true writer he would have black ink all over his hands, which his hands had none of.

“I’m Jessica. I’ve come to ask you some questions.” I stepped into the light and into his small room.

“Women aren’t allowed in the theatre. Get out or I’ll have someone get you out.”

“No. I’ve come here with a goal and I’m not leaving until you give me some answers. Now, you can comply or be an annoying old groggy man and put up a fight; either way, you will answer my questions.”

“You’re an educated peasant; I don’t believe that I’ve ever seen that before.” He looked up from his desk which was covered in papers that had only a signature scrawled on them, William Shakespeare.

“Can you not write your own name?” I laughed slightly.

“I can. Who is a peasant girl to question the signature of William Shakespeare? Can you even read, girl?”

I folded my arms at his joking expression. I wanted nothing more than to reach across and choke him but I needed information. “If I wasn’t literate, I wouldn’t have been able to know what you were writing. I’m not a stupid girl to be dismissed; I’m a smart girl who can read, write and give knowledgeable opinions. Who are you William Shakespeare to be dismissing me?”

“I am the greatest playwright of my era and I am rich with knowledge that only true educated people would know of.” He huffed and a smirk grew on his face as he looked at me. My anger finally got the best of me.

“I know that in your lifetime you write 37 plays and 154 sonnets that people perform 400 years from now. I know that even though you were an educated man, your own children never learned how to read and write. I know that scholars and professors still find it odd that out of all the plays you wrote, not one original manuscript was ever found in your handwriting. I know that you’re a phony cause only a false man would have to practice his signature in order to still make sure that people truly believed it was him who actually did write the plays. You, William Shakespeare of Stratford-upon-Avon are indeed a false persona.”

“Leave!” He jumped from his seat and yelled with a fierce growl.

I stormed out just the way I had come in. I could hear footsteps fast approaching me from behind. My shoulder was yanked on and before I knew it I was facing Ben Johnson, the man I forgot about.

“And where do you think you’re going, Jessica?” He slurred more now and it made me giggle internally. He was such a filthy mess it made me wonder how I didn’t just push my way through before. He was wavering and could barely stand on his own.

“I’m done with you and William dismissed me. I’m going home so, goodbye.” I brought my hand up to wave and he grabbed my wrist with powerful strength. I would have a bruise afterwards, I was sure of it.

“You promised me that I would get you afterwards and I am a man who doesn’t like to be played as a fool.”

“You are a fool and a drunken one too. Let me go or else I will make you let me go.”

“What are you going to do; you’re nothing but a helpless, weak, stupid woman.”

I brought my free hand up to slap him which took him by surprise. The sound was loud and seemed painful. My knees connected to his groin and he crumpled making a small yelp. He was on the mud outside of the theatre now holding his area and looked as though he might cry. I knelt down to his ear and whispered. “Am I still a helpless, weak and stupid woman?”

I brought my brown shoe to his face and put a small amount of pressure. “Am I?” I stepped down harder. A small “no” came from Ben’s mouth.

“That’s what I thought.” I took my foot off of his face and ran back to the bakery as fast as my feet could carry me.