Day 4:

The morning began with kneading plies of dough one after another. My arms ached and sweated beaded down my forehead. The cold air made my sweat become cold but did nothing for my rising temperature. I kneaded over and over again making the dough dense.

“Want to pass over the dough and I’ll shape the bread.” Spoke Catherine with her usual bright smile.

I gave her the dough then began thinking of home. I missed my mum’s hugs, I missed my dog but I still couldn’t manage to find any feeling of missing my older sister, Ariel. I miss many of the everyday things I would usually take for granted. I miss my friends. I miss music. I miss gossiping with my friends. I miss the internet. I miss my old life.

“Are you all right?” Catherine broke me from my thoughts. I looked over to her and she didn’t have her usual smile plastered from ear to ear.

“I’m fine just thinking about my mum.”

“Is she dead?” Catherine went back to shaping the dough into bun and loaves.

I laughed to myself softly. “Oh heavens, no. I just miss her dearly.”

“Me too.” The large grin seemed to manage its way back onto her face.

“What do you miss about yours?” The small talk made me forget about my aching arms.

We spoke on and on about our mothers for at least an hour. Catherine told me of how her mother loved to make daisy chains and put them on Catherine’s head like a crown and they used to pretend to be fairy princesses. It was nice having her tell me these things, it made me feel like we were becoming true friends.