Lost Parents (Chapter 1)

"When do you think they're coming back?"

"I have no idea."

My parents went on a supply run about an hour ago. Leaving me and my older brother, Luke, at our camp all alone. Sure we have guns, but there are way larger herds out there. We can't take them by ourselves. We're just two teens living in a shitty ass camp a few miles from a prison. Our parents said it would be best for everyone if we didn't go there. After I heard the explosions, I started to believe them. Luke said there were no survivors, but what does he know? Absolutely nothing. There's people out there. I know it.

"Do you think we're safe from the zombies?"

"How many times do I have to tell you? They're called walkers. But I hope we are. Mom and dad need to get back soon."

"Yeah they do. If they don't come back by tomorrow, then can we go to one of the houses mom was telling us to stay away from?"

"There's a reason she told us to stay away. But we have to do whatever it takes to survive, so sure. Let's go to one tomorrow morning."

For the rest of the night we were silent. Our parents were out there. Alive or dead is the unanswered question. We'll find them in the morning. And hopefully other survivors. A 15 year old and her 14 year old brother isn't exactly the perfect group in an apocalypse. To others we seem weak. Not very built, little to no weapons, and we're too young. But I know that's not true. We've killed so many walkers that were our own. Three groups we've been in. My family were the only ones who made it out. Our last camp was supposed to last forever. Or so they say. But nothing lasts forever anymore. Nothing is forever.