New Year

Another year has come and it's my last year in high-school. Will I ever be active in my club? I mean... I don't really stand out in any of the club activities. It's volleyball. The last time I ever played is when there were supportive seniors back then. Now playing with people my age and new juniors is just different.

People around my age are very prideful and mean. Like, it's their senior year and they want to be in control of everything.

"Hey nerd! Serve the ball!" one of the girls snapped me out. I rolled my eyes and focused as I made a jump float serve.

"Not bad for a nerd," again, the teasing just won't stop. "Nice serve, Yue. As always." the coach complimented.

I just nodded at him and sat on the bench. "Come on Yue, let's be active like the boys over there." the coach said as he pointed at the far end of the gym.

I sighed heavily, "I don't know, Sir. It feels different." I replied and fixed my shoelaces. "Why don't you teach the juniors how to serve? Okay?" he assured as I nodded in agreement. I walked over and greeted my juniors. "Ah, Yue senpai!" they greeted back. I smiled. "You're the ones who are newly recruited right? Show me your serves." I said.

They nodded and formed into a line and showed how they served the ball. A few hit the net, and a few of them managed to do the serve but still, it got out of the line.

I taught them carefully and only a few of them are fast learners. But still, you don't learn how to receive and serve that quickly overtime.

"Hei senpai, who's that guy? He's wearing number 1." Yumi asked and pointed.

Ugh. There you go again, Tōru Oikawa. You're distracting my girls.

"He's the captain of the boys' volleyball team and he plays as a setter." I explained.

Our juniors' eyes sparkled as they eyed Oikawa.

"Okay, let's continue how to serve and receive." I said as they nodded.

I tried to receive Yumi's serve as I slid across the floor but she might have accidentally or even purposely hit the ball out of boundaries and it went over to the boys' side.

"I-I'm sorry senpai!" she apologized as she bowed multiple times. "Loser, can't even receive the ball!" Hara yelled.

I kept quiet and stood back up. "I believe this is yours." Iwaizumi came jogging over and gave the ball back to me.

I gave a little smile and nodded at him. "I'm sorry about that," I told him. "It wasn't your fault." he said and gave a smile.

"Hey no fair Iwa-chan!" Oikawa yelled at him. Iwaizumi ignored him.

After practice, I went to the girls' changing room only to find my uniform got teared up into pieces.

The three girls, Hara, Ichino & Ayuko threw my uniform into my face. I picked my uniform up only to find myself getting into trouble. Hara stepped on my fingers. I held back the pain. She stomped on my fingers hard.

"You're not worthy talking to either Iwaizumi or even the grand king, Oikawa. " they threatened. I rolled my eyes in annoyance, waiting for them to finish and just leave.

Ichino in the other hand poured her leftover water from her bottle. The other juniors got terrified and left instantly.

-Oikawa's POV-
Practice just ended and as Iwa-chan and I passed by the girls' changing room, I could see a girl getting bullied.

"Hey, isn't that the girl you talked to?" I said to Iwa-chan. "Yeah she's nice— oh no." he frowned.

"You're not worthy talking to either Iwaizumi or even the grand king, Oikawa." I overheard as I kept watching.

One of them stepped on her fingers?

Iwaizumi and I entered their changing room.

"You girls don't make the rules for us. Girls like you disgust me." Iwa-chan spoke.

The three girls gasped.

I grabbed the girl who stepped on the bullied girl and stared at her.

"Hey beautiful." I played at her and winked. She blushed. How annoying. She falls fast for nice words.

"What are you? Third years?" Iwa-chan spoke again. The girls nodded.

"Unbelievable. Now leave." he sternly spoke as all of them left.

"You didn't have to help." the bullied girl spoke as she picked up her uniform. Wait, they bullied her that bad?

"What's your name?" I asked. She stood up and glanced at me. "Yue." she replied as she placed her uniform into a plastic bag and sighed.

"Go now. I'm changing." she said. "Iwa-chan you go ahead." I said. Iwa-chan knew what I was going to do.

I unzipped my duffle bag and gave her my sweater with my name on it. She was puzzled. "But I have my own sweater—" I cut her off. "These ripped off ones?" I asked.

She blushed in embarrassment. "Why are you helping me? I'm not even worth your time." she said.

"Hey, at least the Captain and the popular guy which is me stepped into the bullying scene." I replied and crossed my arm.

She walked over and pulled out another pair of extra uniform. But still, that's the only sweater each student has.

"Why are you still here?" she asked. "Bokè, Iwa-chan and I are walking you home." I replied.

She acted as if it was normal, but not every girl gets to walk home with me.

As soon as she was done changing. She wore my sweater.

She's...different from other girls.

"Your hand." I said and cleared my throat.

"I can do it myself at home." she said and walked passed me. I walked beside her and we saw Iwa-chan waiting.

The whole walk was quiet and we arrived at her place. She's rich? Yet she acts modest and humble.

You are indeed one in a million kind of girl.

Yue.