Chapter 7

"Profit, I must speak with you."

Firefly wasn't expecting anyone that morning. In fact, with how in-demand she typically was amongst her Open Sky devotees, the tranquil quiet of the morning where she got some time to herself was often a welcome refuge. She tried to wake before most of her followers and flutter off into the canopy to watch the sunrise and enjoy the beauty of all the Lady provided. But no sooner had she emerged from her tiny hut suspended in the low branches did she hear Orchid calling out to her.

The young elf woman didn't come from camp, but rather popped to her feet where she'd been sitting under a tree waiting. She had a bow and quiver on her back along with a knife strapped to her leg. Her hair was tied back, leaving nothing to cover the determined look on her face.

"Are you going into battle, huntress?" Firefly asked.

"Profit, we know where Jorah is."

Firefly fluttered to Orchid and perched on her outstretched finger. "Had Zehlyr reported back already? He's only been gone a day."

Orchid shook her head. "He's not returned, but our scouts reported a large structure near the southeast edge of the city. It's heavily fortified with iron bars in the windows."

"Sounds like a prison," Firefly responded. "How can you be sure he's in there?"

Orchid averted her eyes and pulled her lips tight. "Because... because..."

"Because our scouts heard him screaming from inside," Terrex said as he emerged from the trees. The burly human folded his arms and scowled. "Looks like the Lady of Meadowgold isn't so trustworthy after all."

Firefly felt a lump in her throat. "She... she's torturing him?" She could barely say the words. It couldn't be true. The Viyana she knew would never do such a thing. She wanted to believe it was someone else, but she knew it couldn't possibly be taking place without the human leader's knowledge.

"And that's not all," Terex continued. "Meadowgold soldiers are starting to patrol the Savage Lands, which means he's likely told them where we are."

"We can't wait for Zehlyr, Profit," Orchid insisted. "We must free Jorah while the others pull up camp and flee. It's not safe for us here anymore."

Firefly closed her eyes and sighed. "You're right," she said defeatedly, "we must act immediately. How many do you need to free Jorah?"

"Orchid and I will handle that by ourselves," Terex answered. "The less of us sticking our necks out in Meadowgold, the better."

"Go at once then," Firefly instructed. "We'll have camp ready to move by the time you get back."

"If we're not back after noonday, go on without us," Orchid said.

Firefly nodded. "Lady be with you."

~~\*/~~

Zehylr's relationship with his longtime home of Meadowgold was complicated at best. It was years ago he was banished as an outcast for slaying Lord Sansehr in self defense. That began his two years in exile with Heeska, the balisekt he'd rescued, and Azalea, the dryad in human form who would forever hold his heart. It wasn't until the Balisekt War that he'd been forced back into civilization. There, he and his friends helped win victory for the Lands of Order at the battle for Tranquility. After that he returned to Meadowgold a hero and was welcomed again by his people, but years of solitude coupled with losing Azalea back to the spirit world made him long to live alone once again.

Most told him he was crazy. Even Viyana tried to talk him out of living in the Savage Lands all by himself. But he wasn't by himself, not really. When Azalea returned to her spirit form, she reoccupied the part of the forest she's been stripped from years before. She was bound to the land as it's dedicated caretaker. He couldn't see or hear her, but he knew she was there, and home could never be anywhere except with her.