Chapter 5

Elena Haynes

The minute I finished explaining everything to Bowen and Taylor, I made my way to the firearms field. It was the only place in this building I went to, to relieve my stress and get better at my aiming, which everyone claims I don't need to. As I entered our newest chamber, that had glass all around, of target practice, I grabbed a .45 caliber pistol. I pressed start and closed my eyes while taking a deep breath in. I waited for the targets to pop out with my eyes still closed and I took a step back. The first target made a loud noise and I aimed and fired the moment each target was out.

*bang*

I reloaded my gun as soon as it was empty.

"Evie! You're back!"

I shook my head and fired faster than before.

"We love you Evie, but why didn't you save us? Why haven't you justified our deaths, don't you love us?"

My eyes flashed open and I noticed that my target practice had been over. I wiped the sweat off my forehead as my heart beat thumped from my imagination of hearing Fallice's disappointed high pitched voice. As I exited the chamber, I noticed all the new recruits had gathered around the glass windows and were watching me, in pure astonishment. I glared at them while taking off my jacket to only be in my black tank top and put the caliber back where it belonged.

"Who said you guys can get off your post?"

Their eyes widened and they hung their heads in shame, while saying 'no one' and scurrying off. I slung my jacket over my shoulder and began heading to the knife throwing practice section. But before I left the last thing I heard was:

"How does she get six bullets in each target? How is that possible for one to do? If I am lucky then I at least get one bullet in the bullseye not six."

I grinned and shrugged my shoulders because I had actually done pretty decent on the practice. The area where the knife throwing is done is actually really small compard to our other fields, but I guess it is because no one really uses it. Since we don't actually have to throw knives ever in our missions, most people come to practice to build up their arm muscle or even advance their aiming to a better level. When I was about to pick up a knife, my phone went off and I groaned.

Today was supposed to be my day off.

"Hello, Captain?"

The sound of the head honcho boomed through my phone's speaker and I smiled.

Yes, even I have a boss.

"Hello, sir. What is the problem?"

He sighed and mumbled something that I was not able to hear.

"I am really sorry for doing this on your day off but I knew you would still be here after you told your new recruits to watch the 8 hour training videos. Man, those videos are no joke and you gave it to them early." He paused and then I groaned, earning a laugh from him. "Okay, okay. I know you always want to get the job done with. The criminal has been asking for you since the whole apartment problem and I decided that today would be great for you to do your interrogation. So, please come down as soon as possible."

My eyes widened. "M-me? Why does he want to talk with me?"

There was a pause and then I heard background noise, until he finally spoke.

"He said that it has something to do with your case. I have not exactly looked into what your case is but he made it sound important and I knew that you would be dying to hear it."