Memories

"Go on mate, it's your turn," said Tommy's friend as he elbowed him under the ribs.

They were sitting around on the floor of Tommy's apartment, a spacious room it was. The couch long forgotten, and the coffee table, full of nothing but trash and empty bottles of wine, vodka and beer. The window was a glimpse into the world outside, full of bright lights. Plants were scattered around the room, giving a much needed pop of color to the rather monotone room.

Gabriel poked Tommy, laughing as he did so. "Come on then, Mr Popular, tell us your old dms"

"I'm not that popular!" He insisted, laughing as he hiccuped. Scrolling through his discord friends list.

"Ha! You just hit 27 million subs mate, 5 million twitter followers, and 21 million followers on Twitch! You're a rad fellow, you know,"

Tommy chuckled, as he scrolled past names, that meant nothing to him.

Spifey
Skeppy
BadboyHalo
A6D

The first one he recognised was "Dream." And he stopped. What was that name doing in his DMs? Why would he have been in contact with a minecraft youtuber? His smile dropped for a look of confusion. He hesitated for a second before clicking on it.

@DreamWasTaken
Hey Tommy, just letting you know that the SMP is closing down. Just in case you still wanted to play on it
Unread

Tommy felt his heart skip a beat. The SMP?

It took a moment for him to remember why he had been DMing with the minecraft legend, but eventually he did. Of course he did. Dream. The youtuber that got him his first 1 million viewed video. DreamWasTaken, who both relentlessly bullied him and respected him. He inhaled a breath too quickly, and coughed.

He moved on though. Noting down to go check the guy's youtube channel to see if it was active when he was sober. His hands felt sweaty, as he went back to scrolling through his dms.

Captainsparklez
RT Game
Slyvee
GeorgeNotFound
Sapnap

The next names he recognised were TimeDeo. He felt his hands shake slightly as he clicked on TimeDeo's dms. Unlike Dream, he remembered exactly who TimeDeo was, well vaguely anyways. TimeDeo used to be a regular feature on his channel, he didn't remember what for, however.

@TimeDeo
Wanna join our co-op? Lol we got like 30 people in here
Unread

Tommy's mouth felt dry as he remembered what a co-op was. A group on a game in a server on minecraft. He chuckled dryly as he remembered that those even existed. Tears started to sting his eyes as he moved on, also noting the name down to check on later.

Dangthatsalongname
TapL
xNesterio
Finnster

The next name he recognised made his heart completely stop. Philza. The name was a sting to his heart as tears began to spill. The man's familiar anime character avatar seemed to smile at him, encouraging him to smile. Without hesitation, he clicked on the man's dms.

@Philza
[Picture of Phil and a Baby]
Hey tommy! Just wanted to tell you that you're invited to this little guy's first birthday party, would love to have you there.
[party details]
Unread

Tommy's heart fucking stopped as more tears began to stream down his face. He hasn't even REALISED that Phil had a kid. His hands trembled so much that he had to put his phone down to take a deep breath. Another name he should look at when he was sober.

Joko
Connor
Carson
Fundy

Wilbur soot. The name made his heart not only stop, it made him sob. Tears were now non-stop flowing down his face as he clicked on Wilbur's name to see his message. His brother. Wilbur soot who championed him all the way there. He let out a breath shakily as he tried to calm down.

@WilburSoot
Hey pisschild
Unread

Tommy let out a broken laugh. Of course Wilbur's message wouldn't be anything ordinary. He let out a sob, causing his friends to all stare at him. As one of them tried to come over to him to make sure he was okay, Tommy shook his head and shot them a smile. Wilbur's voice rang in his head, that all so familiar voice that he had looked up to. He thought about responding, but hesitated yet again, knowing it was better to do it sober.

With a heavy heart, he began scrolling again. Eyes of concern on him.

SeaPeeKay
Purpled
Jschlatt
Simon @ Hypixel

The last two names made him stop breathing. A sob escaped Tommy's mouth as his hands trembled so much that his phone slipped his hand, clanking on the floor with a loud thud. He covered his face with his hands.

Tubbo_

His best friend. How could they have drifted away? It was them vs the world. The dynamic duo. More sobs escaped his mouth as he broke down into a complete mess. He fumbled to pick up his phone again, knowing he owed to tubbo_ even after all this time to read his message.

@Tubbo_
Today was fun! Ttyl!!
Unread

He couldn't help but weep at the message. They never talked later. He doesn't even remember the day. He couldn't do this anymore as he slammed his phone down. All these memories, all these people. How? How could've he forgotten?

He cried for a while, about tubbo, about Wilbur, about Phil, about Deo, even about Dream.

He also laughed at the memories of them. The memories they had created together. His friends. How he had gotten there.

But he knew that there was a missing piece. One name he knew that was missing. It made him want to throw up and throw his phone in anger at himself. It made him want to go back and apologize for not replying. It made him want to rip his heart out.

Technoblade

The man's familiar laugh ringed in his head and his heart ached. Just the name made him smile at all the memories they had.

It took him all of his energy to reach over to his phone and go back to the list of names. That one name just sat there, almost mocking him.

He clicked.

@TechnoThePig
I'm proud of you
Unread.

Nothing could stop what happened next. Tommy threw his phone against his couch as he broke down into tears. His friends surrounded him and tried to talk to him with voices of concern but nothing could stop his tears. His heart swelled with sadness as he realised what he had done. He had forgotten about the man that made him, him. The first person that kick started his career. His friend. His brother. His family.

He sobbed, and sobbed, realising that he had forgotten where he had come from. The places he came from. He had forgotten 15 year old Tommy getting happy at 10k views. He had forgotten those days where his GCSEs were his biggest worry. He had forgotten when all that mattered was winning Minecraft championships. He had forgotten those simple times.

And all he could do was cry.